1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping and Burning sections of a DVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Pierce52, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Pierce52

Pierce52 Member

I know how to back up a DVD uesing Decryptor and Shrink fine... But How can I just burn a single chapter or specific section? Any help would be fantastic.... TY

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

3. Pierce52

Pierce52 Member

I'm not exactly sure how to use Shrink to do this?

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Use Re-Author in Shrink - just drag and drop the sections you want than click back up as usual.
    There's a guide on the for Shrink that may help you also.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

If you want to take, for example, the last half of Chapter 7 from a movie, select Re-author and drag the main title over into the re-author window on the left.
    Next, click the opposing blue arrows to open the "Set Start/End Frames" window. Use the Chapter buttons to select Chapter 7. Then use the sliders and buttons to isolate the specific scenes you want to save. Once that is done, select OK. You can now preview your clip using the preview window. If it is correct, back the clip up to a location on your hard drive. Make more clips as needed. You should end up with your clips in seperate folders. Now you can use the DVD Browser to gather and assemble all your clips into one and burn it to a disc.

You can look at this Flash presentation to get an idea of how it is done:

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial001.html

Cheers,
    Frank

6. Pierce52

Pierce52 Member

Thanks guys.... That was a HUGE help..... Thumbs Up! :)

7. mirion

mirion Member

That method worked well for me, I created clips from several music videos but when I reviewed the compilation before I burned, some clips had the sound and some did not. As I sit here at work today I wondered, is it because some are in 5.1 and some are 2 ch. If so, if I burn it and play it back on my 5.1 stereo will they all have sound? What do you think fasfrank?......Thanks, Mike

8. mirion

mirion Member

By the way fasfrank, that tutorial clip you put up was great....Mike

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I always keep a couple DVD-RWs handy to experiment with. One thing about burning clips is that it doesn't take very long so you have time to try different things. I think I did a clip that had mixed audio formats and it worked. Its been awhile so you may want to try it again.

Make sure you select all the different audio formats that are on the clip when you do the final compilation. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't pick the audio up. Lots of movies have the extras in 2ch and the main title in 5.1 and they work OK. I don't know why a compilation that you make would be any different.

BTW I'm glad you liked that tutorial. Its a little rough but seems to work OK. I used that "Wink" program to make it.

Cheers,
    Frank

10. saea501

saea501 Member

I am trying to make a compilation from different DVDs. I have the files in a folder on my hard drive, however when I open the folder that I put the files in shows as empty and I cannot drag the files to the left side . If I go to the C drive and look directly in the folder the files are all there. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Each set of files from each DVD should be in a seperate folder. You can consider each clip as a small but complete movie with all the video files that make up a movie.
    The files for one clip in a folder should look something like this:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_O1_0.IFO
    VTS_O1_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB

(There may be more than one .VOB file, There is usually just one for a short clip though)

Shrink considers this set of files as a single title. Trying to combine them is giving Shrink multiple VIDEO_TS.IFO, .BUP files, etc, in one folder which won't work.

After you combine the clips, look at the new set of files Shrink makes. You will notice only one VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.BUP in the new set of files. This is the new nav info Shrink creates for all the combined clips. Each individual clip will become a seperate .VOB file.

Hope this helps...
    Cheers,
    Frank

12. saea501

saea501 Member

Thanks Frank. I understand, and I have tried making individual folders and have the same results. You mention combining the files, this is where I think I am having a problem. How do I combine them so will look at them as a single recordable file? I have tried dragging the individual files from their existing folders but as I drag the second file in it replaces the first one. Will not allow me to drag more than one file in at a time.

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The way I do it is like this:

I have a folder called Shrink Scratch Folder, this is where I'm putting all my clips. I start with an empty Shrink Scratch folder.

I make a number of empty folders inside this Scratch folder. I name them Clip 1, Clip 2, Clip 3 and so on.

Make as many as you need.

Making a clip... Open the video you are taking the clip from, Select Reauthor, Drag the title into the Compilation window. Then use the "Set Start/End Frames" feature to trim away all but the clip you want. Select OK, Select Backup!

Target Device will be your Hard Disk Folder. Target folder will be the folder within the scratch folder ie, "Clip 1". Select OK and Shrink will Backup the clip to the "Clip 1" folder.

For the next clip, delete the first clip from the compilation window, drag your main video over again and repeat the process. This time select "Clip 2" as the target folder. Repeat this until you get all your clips in individual folders.

The fun part is next, making the compilation of clips!

Note: For the purpose of this reply, I took a short 1.5 minute clip and divided it into three 30 second clips. I put them in folders named Clip 1, Clip 2 and Clip 3. These 3 folders are in my C:\ "Shrink Scratch Folder". Now I want to put them back together as a compilation. Here it is, step by step.

Close Shrink if it is still open, and then re-open it. Select Re-author. On the right side, under the DVD Browser tab, I select Local Disk (C): by double clicking it. From the list I select Shrink Scratch folder by double clicking. My Clip 1 Clip 2 and Clip 3 folders show up.

Getting the files installed into the compilation.

I double click the Clip 1 folder. The AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS File Folders appear. Double click VIDEO_TS. It turns into Title 1. Drag Title 1 into the DVD Compilation window on the left.

Shrink may analyze each one of your clips at this point in the process, ie, as you drag it into the compilation window.

Now I need to get another clip...

I Click the down arrow on the DVD Browser drop-down menu. I click on the Shrink Scratch disc folder again. My 3 clips show up again. This time I select the Clip 2 folder by double clicking and, as before, I click on the VIDEO_TS File Folder. I have another Title 1 (Because Shrink calls every new title you get Title 1) I just drag it over to the left and put it with the first Title 1 I drug over earlier.

Now I have something that looks like this:

Title 1
    Title 1 (2)

Next, I repeat the process one more time,
    clicking the down arrow on the browser,
    selecting my scratch folder by double clicking, selecting Clip 3 by double clicking
    and selecting the VIDEO_TS File Folder by double clicking, which becomes a third title 1.
    I drag this to the left and put it with the other two.

It now looks like this:

Title 1
    Title 1 (2)
    Title 1 (3)

That is all there is to it. Each clip is now in the compilation window.

Use the preview window to verify each clip if you like by highlighting the title and starting the preview.
    To preview the entire compilation, click on the DVD Disc icon above the titles.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Frank

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  14. saea501

saea501 Member

That is just as I have done it. Right now I have 5 clips in a folder. When I go to the C drive and open that folder all 5 of them are there. When I open, click on C drive then open the folder no files appear. That is where the problem is. For some reason the files are not recognized when accessed.

Thanks for your help, though. I am sure you have better things to do than fool around with my problem.

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Naw, this is like a brain teaser. You will probably give up before I will. :)

Lets talk about "path depth" just to make sure of something....

If you have something like this with when viewing your scratch folder with Windows Explorer:

Clip 1
    Clip 2
    Clip 3
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB

Then you have a problem....

When you click on the Scratch Folder using Shrink's browser, Shrink will ignore everything but that set of Video files. So instead of showing what you viewed with Win explorer, you get this:

Title 1

Nothing you do can make Shrink "see" the clips you know are there.

The point of all this is to just make sure you have nothing in your scratch folder but the clips. All folders must be at the same path depth in your Scratch folder.

Just to verify what the heck path depth is, it is how many child directories deep you go from a given starting point:

Lets start at C:\......

C:/All_DVD_Stuff/My_DVD_videos/Shrink Scratch Disc/Clip 1/VIDEO_TS

I count a path depth of 6. Does that make sense?

Of course you can have many items at a given depth:

C:/All_DVD_Stuff/My_DVD_videos/Shrink Scratch Disc/Clip 1, Clip 2, Clip 3/
    Clip 1/VIDEO_TS
    Clip 2/VIDEO_TS
    Clip 3/VIDEO_TS

Its kinda hard to draw branching paths but I hope you get the idea.

FYI I will have a tutorial at my website in a couple of days covering this as much as possible. I can do it every time so I can't think of any reason you shouldn't be able to do it as well.

16. saea501

saea501 Member

I'm not much on giving up, but by the same token I don't want to bug you with it. I've been fartin' around with this for a week or so.
    I follow the path depth. I am thinking that the problem I have is the way is filing them. Each file has a path of two....... Each file has a title of (Movie title)Easy CD Creator Image File 533,090KB with a little icon to its left. Now, the odd thing is I can work with a single title. I can drag it from the folder directly into the left pane of will put it right on a disc and disc plays fine in my DVD player. I just can't get multiple files. As I mentioned before, if I drag a second file in, it replaces the existing file.

17. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I'm not sure you need Roxio for any part of the process, that being said, try this...

And be sure you are doing this with clips and not entire movies...

Whatever program you use to make your clip puts them in a location you specify. So go to that location and burrow into it until you find these two folders:

VIDEO_TS
    AUDIO_TS

(Bear in mind that the audio folder is always empty but a required part of the DVD Specification, just FYI)

Check that the VIDEO_TS folder has these and only these files:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_O1_0.IFO
    VTS_O1_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB

(It is OK to have more than 1 .VOB file)

Once the files check out OK put both the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS in a new folder, name it clip 1 or something.

Follow the same procedure with your second clip.

Place both Clip 1 and Clip 2 in a scratch folder. Shrink should now be able to browse for and open both.

Tips:
    Don't use Explorer to put your files into Shrink. Use the Shrink browser.

Make your clips with Shrink. Once you get that working, then you can try other programs.

Make some test clips, about 30 seconds or so, from the same movie.

I'll work on a guide this weekend I hope. It will use Shrink only to make and compile the clips.

Frank

Edit:
    this will not work! You must use the Shrink browser and not Windows Explorer.

Once you get the Title in the window on the right using Shrink's browser, you drag it over to the left. Then use Shrink's browser to find the next title. You can then add that one as well.

Using explorer will not work.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  18. trust121

trust121 Member

wuddup..i used shrink to get some sections of a movie to make a complation. i did all the steps that was described on this forum. before i burn i want to know if there is a way to make each clip a chapter.. or like when i hit the next track button on my remote on my dvd player it will go to the next clip. if so how would i do that. i'm using nero 6 to burn.. also i tried to open files in shrink just like saea501 and i get the same problem. but how wud i do it with nero? thanks in advance

19. saea501

saea501 Member

Frank: It is not that I am using Explorer as I just open the folder the files are in and drag one. If I do this will in fact put it on a disc, however I cannot put multiples into using this method. Something else that may bear on this, I cannot open it and see the individual IFO BUP files,can open it and see the files.

20. trust121

trust121 Member

is there anyone that could help me out with this problem. i have the same similar problem as saea501. thanks