1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping CD's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by antipop, Aug 23, 2002.

1. antipop

antipop Guest

I'm using music match jukebox to rip my cds but i think that it exist better solution and have a better quality
    I've tried EAC but the file is twice the size than with MMJB.
    What is the best solution (best sound quality) to rip cds (i want a bitrate around 128, and i don't want a full cd to take more than 80MB)

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

128kbps is too low for hi-fi playback. It is suitable for portable devices and similar with limited storage capacity. Settings --alt-preset standard are very good and give you around 192kbps files in average. If you want 128kbps then I recommend --alt-preset 128

Last edited: Aug 25, 2002
  3. antipop

antipop Guest

I'm ripping like 200 cds because i'm leaving home and i don't want to take all my cds with me
    I don't have enough space on my hdd to put them all in 192, 128 is a good compromise

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Would other format than MP3 do? OGG Vorbis should perform better on low bitrates. You could use for example -q 5 or something.

5. antipop

antipop Guest

Tell me what it is and how to use it, i'll give it a try (all i want is that a full cd do not take more than 70Mo of space)

6. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Get the commandline OGG Vorbis encoder and put the .EXE file to EAC directory. Then switch EAC compression to use OGG and start testing with different Q values.

Other way: Rip CDs to WAV files, get OGGDrop, drag & drop files to OGGDrop. Play around with various Q values to satisfy you quality/size needs.

All software is found on this site.

7. antipop

antipop Guest

I'll try it
    Thanks