1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ripping encoding with linux

Discussion in 'Digital video discussion for Linux users' started by kebabs, Jun 24, 2004.

1. drakshug

drakshug Member

There is a linux version of dvd shrink. I use it along with K9copy, videodvd rip and K avi to vcd.

2. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Maybe it's just me but I have had great success running all my favorite Windows DVD programs running under Wine with very few issues and in some cases better performance on my dual boot Linux/Windows XP machine. Here is a list of the programs That I have been able to get going.

DVD Decrypter
    DVD Shrink
    RipIt4Me
    DVD Rebuilder Pro & Free
    VobBlanker
    PgcEdit
    ImgBurn
    DVD Info Pro

And working on more, as well as some bugs in the above programs.

3. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

just a reminder - i believe this thread at least started out to be an inquiry into dvd ripping/encoding programs that work with linux - WITHOUT a WINE interface. I think everyone knows you can run (some) Windows programs using Wine, including DVDShrink, etc.

For the record, there is NOT a DVDShrink version that runs on Linux without the Wine interface.

I use Acidrip to copy DVDs to mp4 (xvid) files in about the same time it takes to convert a commercial DVD movie to Divx running Windows. Quality is comparable.

xxx

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

** edit **

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2007
  5. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Here is the original post

I don't see any mention of programs about programs that run under Linux without Wine in the original post. Windows programs are not the problem Microsoft is!

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

** edit **

7. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

@janrocks
    I have nothing but great respect for your Linux knowledge
    and respect your opinions and expertise highly. I may not be the Linux guru you have shown to be, not only here but at the other forums you post. That being said I would really like to see your thoughts or guides posted here to help convert more Windows users. There are a lot of issues with Linux from one system to another as well as distro to distro. Every person we can convert will only make Linux better, the average Windows user will be lost and give up without the help of people like you. There are lot's of idiots out there that will never be able to get Linux, but that is there problem. We may disagree on the direction of open source and closed source programs/drivers. In the end the more people and software developers that move to Linux is the only thing that will hurt Microsoft.

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

** edit **

9. drakshug

drakshug Member

I tried the live disk for videolinux and was really impressed by the setup there. I am definately tempted to put it on a diff partition from my regular flavour just for the sweet video packages it has. I do a lot of work with dvds and xvids etc so this seems like a boon.

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

** edit **

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2007
  11. Cobalt06

Cobalt06 Guest

Wolfmanz can you tell me how to get DVD DEcrypter to work in Wine. I am lost on how this is suppose to work. I am a noob to linux.

12. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member