1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping Help.......PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mkhadafi, Dec 27, 2003.

1. mkhadafi

mkhadafi Member

This is a long explanation, but I figure it's best to give all the details.

I recently upgraded my system to a Leadtek K7NCR18D-PRO motherboard and added a BTC DVD drive. I already had a HP-CDWriter+ 9100 running on the machine with an older motherboard. I was able to rip CDs with no problem with that setup. After adding the new motherboard and the DVD drive and re-installing windows I was no longer able to rip CDs. I would either receive read errors or completely blank MP3 files. The size and tags would be correct, but no sound at all. I just reformatted and reinstalled winodows 2000 and still receive the same problem. I've downloaded the latest winaspi files from adaptec and installed them and they seem to work fine. I am using CDex and I get nothing but the silent files. I recently bought an IPod and with ITunes I get files that are 0:00 long and no size, but the file is created. I don't know what to do to fix this and don't want my IPod to be rendered useless. Somebody please help me out and let me know what I can do to fix this problem.

2. minix

minix Member

Disable DMA to confirm it's a problem with busmaster drivers.

3. mkhadafi

mkhadafi Member

How do I disable DMA? That's something new to me. I can give that a shot.

4. minix

minix Member

properties of the IDE controller (in Device Manager).

nForce IDE controllers and busmaster drivers have problems with this kind of things...

5. mkhadafi

mkhadafi Member

I have NVIDIa nForce IDE Controller, Primary nForce IDE Channel, and Secondary nForce IDE Channel in my hardware manager. When I right click any of them I get three tabs, General, Driver, and Resources, of which none have anything about DMA listed. What else can you suggest I try doing? Would I be best off just getting an IDE control card for my DVD drive and CD burner?

6. minix

minix Member

They should have an "Advanced Config" tab... (mine have).
    (Maybe in the properties of the drive, but I doubt it).

You have the nForce busmaster drivers installed I'm afraid.
    The idea was to install the Microsoft ones.

You can also try to select "PIO4 mode" for the controllers in the BIOS setup.

7. mkhadafi

mkhadafi Member

Unfortunately I don't have that advanced tab. I was able to set the mode for both the primary and secondary IDE To PIO4 and disable UDMA in the bios, but it was to no avail. Still silent MP3s when using CDEX. There is an advanced config tab in the properties of the drive, but nothing about disable DMA. I'm not certain where to go from here. You never did say how you felt about the IDE control card idea. What do you think about that?

8. minix

minix Member

9. minix

minix Member

oh, another IDE controller?
    They're are also a pain with optical drives...

There are models that work OK with these drives, but I don't know which ones.

10. mkhadafi

mkhadafi Member

I was actually able to fix the problem just by removing the nForce IDE controller and installing the generic Microsoft driver. Works great now.