1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping just a certain scene from a Blu-Ray Movie

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by DSMKilla, Oct 20, 2008.

1. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

I was wondering if it is possible to rip just a certain scene from a blu-ray movie without having to rip the entire movie to my hard drive first. Like lets say there is only like a 5 min scene that I wanna rip from a blu-ray, I know that with DVD shrink you had the re-author tool that allowed this type of thing so I am just wondering if there is anything of that nature for blu-rays. Currently I am using AnyDVD-HD but I haven't found anything in there that would allow this without ripping the entire disc to the hard drive.

Thanks in advance!

2. pablok2

pablok2 Member

i'm afraid your out of luck on this one- but you could decrypt one chapter and then just cut it.

3. ugc

ugc Regular member

depending on your hardware you have to work with, but instead of "rip" you could "capture" the part you are interested in.

4. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

Well what program would allow ripping just certain chapters?

I am also using Adobe Premiere CS3 and AVID Liquid 7.2 but I don't think they are gonna do me much good until I can actually get a rip from the cd to the hard drive first.

5. odin24

odin24 Regular member

This can be done no problem. If you have AnyDVD HD running in the background (little fox icon in the system tray), using tsMuxeR open the BDMV/STREAM folder straight from the disc in your BD drive, locate the main movie file. If the movie is a seamless branching title (several m2ts file to the main movie) you need to know which MPLS file to open (located in the Playlist folder), open that in tsMuxeR in this case.

Now using the split/cut feature is tsMuxeR you can choose which range to rip the movie (minutes or seconds), just set the start and end times.

6. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

OK I am running AnyDVD 6.4.5.9 and also tsMuxeR 1.8.4b and I cannot figure out how to open the disc. I clicked on the add tab and it asks me to choose a file, I tried clicking on my E: Drive which is my Blu-Ray drive and it does nothing. Also when I try opening my blu-ray drive via windows explorer it just shows nothing when I open it up. Any ideas?

7. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Your version of AnyDVD is outdated. Make sure your BD is in your BD drive. Then through tsMuxeR try to open one of the m2ts files in the stream folder. If you can then follow my previous instructions.

8. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

OK This is what I'm working with right here. So where am I supposed to be going to open a blu-ray disc at?

[​IMG]

9. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Click "Add", navigate to the drive where your BD is, locate the BDMV/STREAM folder, then look for the largest m2ts file, hopefully the main movie is just one file otherwise you will need to open the correct mpls file (this will join all neccesary m2ts files to make the complete movie) in the BDMV/PLAYLIST folder.

1. Select the proper m2ts file.
    2. Split & Cut tab, specify the start and end time (in minutes)
    3. Select the output (ts, m2ts, or Blu-ray)
    4. Mux

10. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

OK That's what I thought you meant but unfortunately when I do that it shows NOTHING in my CD Drive. If I put a DVD in I can import stuff just fine but for blu-rays it nothing shows up when I select the Drive to open it.

I have a Sony Blu-Ray BWU-100A I'm not sure what the deal is...

11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Try re-installing the firmware. It should have come on a CD with the drive.

12. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

Yeah I already hit up sony's website last night and tried doing that and I am already up to date on firmware... I dunno what the deal is...

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I'm not sure either. Maybe your PC doesn't like the drive? Try another maybe... my LG is good, and it came with a free BD25-RE.

14. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

OK I figured it out... Turns out all I needed to do was install UDF Reader 2.5

Damn that was easy lol

15. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

OK you mentioned something about knowing which mpls file is for the main movie but how do I go about finding that out? Just trial and error?

16. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Two ways, BDinfo or eac3to. I use eac3to since that is the app I use for demuxing and processing as well. If you are familiar with command line prompts I suggest eac3to, if not give BDinfo a try.

For seamless branching titles eac3to is recommended for demuxing over tsMuxeR as eac3to will not leave gaps/overlaps when branching during demuxing, tsMuxeR does sometimes and might cause sync problems.