1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping MUSIC VIDEO DVD problem

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by NR1, Jul 28, 2002.

1. NR1

NR1 Member

I use SmartRipper to rip DVD Vobs, and then Flask to encode and works very well using Radium MP3 Codecs and DivX 5.0.2 All the movies I have ripped came out great... BUT trying to rip the couple MUSIC VIDEO DVD's are another story. Using SmartRipper will produce VOBs but they come out with no audio. Has anyone tryed this before? Or know anything about it?
    Im sure its some kind of setting in SmartRipper, I've tryed other DVDs and just to double check ripped and encoded another movie just fine. Still music video DVDs have no sound...

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Problem is that in DVD2AVI (assuming you use it) you have selected the wrong audio tracks. DTS audio unfortunately can't be used, so you need to select an audio track that is encoded as AC3 or DS2.0 (or LPCM) and use that as your audio source.

3. indie665

indie665 Guest

hey dRD, I ripped a few music videos my self. all but one came out bad. in this video the video would freeze at a certain spot every time. i've used Divx player and Media player with a load of filters. how do you fix this?

4. NR1

NR1 Member

Im using SmartRipper and FlaskMPEG... Dont use any other programs for ripping and making DivX movies, but I wanted to make Music Videos as well.

SmartRipper pulls the files, but there is not audio in it, Flask doesnt find any audio tracks in the ripped VOBs, is there a setting in SmartRipper that needs to be changed for Music Video DVDs?

5. indie665

indie665 Guest

sorry but did you not read the above comment by dRD? you should use dvd2avi to get audio files. that is the way i do mine.

6. NR1

NR1 Member

I read the above link, if you look, its says "Problem is that in DVD2AVI (assuming you use it)" thus, the fact that I stated that I DONT use it, I use SmartRipper, then that post helps me in NO way... dRD should have said, you need to use DVD2AVI and make sure to select the correct audio track..... BTW have you ripped a Music Video DVD?

7. dRD

DVD2AVI is _not_ a replacement to SmartRipper, it is the next step you take after SmartRipper.

8. NR1

NR1 Member

What the hell am I suppose to do with it? If FlaskMPEG couldnt fine the audio from the ripped VOB files, then how is DVD2AVI going to do it... Since its a MUSIC video DVD I dont want to lower sound quality at all... As for downmixing to 44Khz, I have yet to come across a crappy enough sound card that couldnt handle it (with exception to the old pentium MMX days.) Ill give it a try when I get home, But what am I suppose to do with it?
    Have you ripped a music video DVD? Such as Massive Attack, Bjork, or any others?

9. dRD

Yeah, I have ripped 10-20 music DVDs. I hate Flask, totally. It used to be the best, back in 1999-2000 or so, but in last two years, it has become absolutely out-dated piece of software.

DVD2AVI lets you choose the audio stream you want. And SmartRipper makes you the .txt file in the directory where you ripped the DVD, that contains full list of all streams found within the DVD. Simply pick one that suits for you. DTS _CANNOT_ be used, at all, ever. None of the tools allow you to do anything with DTS audio. But if you have AC3/DD audio and wish to keep it like that, simply take it out of the DVD and save it as AC3 and later on mux it back to ready DivX with NanDub. Or if you prefer DS2.0 or MP3, select DS2.0 or LPCM audio (if avail, if not and wish to use MP3 audio anyway, select AC3) and save that as WAV. You don't need to downmix the frequency to 44.1kHz and by default DVD2AVI doesn't do it.

10. NR1

NR1 Member

I use FlaskMPEG for the fact that its quick and easy, I can rip a DVD in about 5 - 10 minutes, then, I can setup flask in about 3 minutes, and encode before I got to sleep or work. With the guide here I looks like about 4 hours of preping a DVD for encoding. I dont want to make a job out of Encoding, Ill give DVD2AVI a quick run when I get home tonight. If its to complex though, Ill just go find them and download them...
    Ill get back to you later and let you know how it goes...

11. dRD

Try GKnot if you like encoding bundles like Flask.

12. NR1

NR1 Member

Hmmmm.... Just for the hell of it, I tryed Eminems Music Video DVD a friend let me borrow... Ripped just fine like Massive Attack and Bjork, BUT... FlaskMPEG found the audio for the Eminem DVD, is there a new type of encoding of DVDs that SmartRipper doesnt know about??? If you can get ahold of either Massive Attack or Bjork and see if you can rip them... Or if anyone else out there has tryed...

13. dRD

No. "Problem" is that Flask tries to find AC3 audio (AFAIK) and music video DVDs normally don't have it, but have uncompressed LPCM instead.