1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping SD card image

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jpop2006, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Jpop2006

Jpop2006 Guest

Hi, I am new to this forum and I am not sure if my question will be right in this forum or not.
    I am trying to back up the whole image of SD data but I am unable to do so. Is there any software similar to DVD ripping somewhere?
    The reason is I have this Hard disk Car navigation(Panasonic) and the new Map is available in DVD with SD card.
    The trick is that Only once the SD is used for upgrading your map, the contents of the SD seemed to be changed and you can not upgrade the other navigation(I have another in my wife's car).
    So, I have to do the followings:
    1.The SD card before restoring back to the original, need to be duplicated including format and everything in other SD card.

2. With #1 above SD card, retore back to original data and try installing my other car navigation.

Does anyone knows any software that does all?
    Pls help, if I am posting this here is not right Pls refer to appropriate forum.
    Thank you so much your kind help.

2. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

norton ghost could do it even tho im not entierly sure if ghost is only for HDDs or can be used for others?

3. cornwafer

cornwafer Member

Winhex will do what you want. You can create an image file from logical or physical media with the evaluation version. To write the image back you will need to buy a personal license which costs about 50 dollars.

4. Jpop2006

Jpop2006 Guest

Thanks guys, I will try the both and let you know th outcome.

5. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

Good as long as u do.

6. Jpop2006

Jpop2006 Guest

I can not duplicate the exact copy of the SD described above. I am guessing that this original SD card is built with some kind of CPRM or copy protect things. I have used ALL IMAGE to duplicate and it looks exactly the same in its property.
    How do I get around this CPRM although I can not visually see this copy protect file.
    Thanks guys for all your advise.

7. cornwafer

cornwafer Member

Can you clarify these points -

1. Have you got an original SD card which has not yet been used to upgrade ?

2. What is 'ALL IMAGE' ?

3. Have you installed an evaluation copy of Winhex ?

8. Jpop2006

Jpop2006 Guest

Thank you for the reply.
    1. Yes, I have also the original SD card which has not yet used been used to upgrade.(the total size is 16MB, approx 4.7MB used)

2. I have downloaded the "All image 1,2,3" at http://towodo.com

3.Yes, I have installed Winhex evaluation copy but there is restriction as to the size of the file and at this point I am not sure paying USD50 is worth trying.

I think I read somewhere about this SD protection that you acn not visually see this protection file in the SD card and a part of this protection file is re-written automatically once the SD card with DVD map is inserted into the HDD unit of the navigation system.

I have also tried "used SD card" inserted into the HDD unit of the car navigation system and the message says "this SD card is alerady used for upgrading"

So, I am guessing that this original SD has some sort of invisible file or key that can not be copied(CPRM) and this file somehow trigger the upgrading program.

Any idea will be highly appreciated and thank you for your advise.

9. cornwafer

cornwafer Member

WinHex can bypass Windows and view media sectors directly and copy raw sectors into a file.

I have just tried All Image and it seems to work the same way. Just use WinHex evaluation version to calculate hashes.

1. Write protect your SD card and insert into reader.
    2. Run Winhex, press F9 and select your SD card from the PHYSICAL media list.
    3. From the Tools menu, select Calculate Hash then MD5. This will generate a 32 character hex string which is like a fingerprint identification of the file. Copy this string into a text file.
    4. Run All Image and open the PHYSICAL drive for your SD card and save it as a RAW IMAGE FILE (.img).
    5. When that's done, open the .img file with WinHex and calculate the MD5 hash for the file. As long as the hashes match, the .img file is an exact byte for byte copy of the physical disk.
    6. You should then be able to write the .img file back to the SD card.
    If you use a different make of SD card, make sure that it is exactly the same number of bytes in size as the original one.
    Again check the MD5 hash of the SD card after writing the image back just to make sure it's the same.
    Hope it works. Good Luck.

10. Jpop2006

Jpop2006 Guest

cornwafer,
    Thank you so much for your guidance.
    I have followed your advise and compared the "fingerprint" of both original and the copied one, they all look alike.
    So I tried upgrading with the copied SD but it stopped after 10% of upgrading procedure in the navigation system and nothing happened(freezed).
    I have tired twice but it happened again, so I have decided to see if the original SD does the same or not and it went all smooth and upgraded without any problem.
    Now, i do not have any backup SD but upgarded OK.
    I think I am goig to get another set of NEW hard disk(for note PC use) and somehow clone the upgarded hard disk in the system so that just in case I will have the back up hard disk.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help, very much appreciated.

11. cornwafer

cornwafer Member

Now that you have used the original SD card, try writing the image back to it to see if you can upgrade again.

12. Jpop2006

Jpop2006 Guest

I am not sure your advise ?
    1. Now that I have used the original SD card for upgrading, the fingerprint is different from the original.
    2.My harddisk has already upgraded with the original SD card.

Is is possible to reverse the contenets of the original SD to be able to match with the original fingerprint? any sofware that does
    the recovery of any chnaged file ?
    The problem is even if I get the file recovered to the original status, I have now way of upgrading because I have already upgraded
    unless upgraded hard diks is also reversed back to the previous condition.

thanks

13. cornwafer

cornwafer Member

The image file (.img) you made with All Image is an exact copy of the original SD card before upgrading.

You should now be able to use All Image to write that image file back to the SD card (as long as you remember to take the write protect off by sliding the switch on the side to the unlock position).

This is assuming that the cards are standard SD cards and Panasonic have not tweaked them somehow.

Once you have written the image file back, check the MD5 hash of the SD card using WinHex (select it from the list of PHYSICAL media) and compare it to the MD5 hash of the .img file. If the two hashes are identical then the SD card is back to its original state.

If the two hashes are different then something else is going wrong. Either the SD card has been tweaked somehow or All Image does not use the raw access mode that WinHex does.