1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ritek: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by bch, Dec 31, 2002.

1. bch

bch Guest

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

That information is years old. Ritek has been very good ever since 8x speed product line.

3. T2K

T2K Guest

I was wondering the same thing about riteks
    dvd-r media. I have a pioneer dvr-105.newest firmware installed.

4. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

Ritek has been good to me in the 4, 24 and 48x media.

5. T2K

T2K Guest

thats a whole lot of information thanks
    racemann and bye the way are you refering to ritek cd-r media?

6. T2K

T2K Guest

of course you are, I must be in the wrong forum. Peace!

7. monodax

monodax Member

Me and a friend of mine purchased about a half case of 50 spools (Kyocera) was the name on the outside rated @ 32x. Well I did the ATIP CDR Media Code Reader and found out who actually made them was Ritek Corporation. Needless to say they are only capable of burning @ 20x reliably. I would never ever purchase them but it's your call.

8. skylinedo

skylinedo Member

I've never had a problem w/ Ritek. I burnt my first Jpop (Ayumi Hamasaki) CD on a Memorex disc (ritek) 3 years ago. And its still w/ me, and still going strong.

9. jase

jase Guest

Six months ago, I'd have said Ritek were the best of the budget manufacturers. Now I'm not so sure.

They are still capable of making some very good CDRs when they want to, and generally anyone who is having problems writing >20x has either bought 16x-rated media rebadged or has a bad writer. BUT, there have been some atrociously bad Ritek media appearing just lately.

The key seems to be in a code written in white ink in the centre ring that says *WD-001*. I have had several spindles of this Ritek media and it has all SUCKED. Basically if you write it at 16x or below it should be OK, but if you write it any higher, on the read-back the drive will slow down after around 40-50 minutes.

I'm not sure if this is just one, bad Ritek factory (perhaps some small outfit that Ritek have bought and are using for producing the cheap crap end of their range and dumping at cheap prices) or a sign that Ritek's standards are slipping. But my advice is if you see Ritek media of any brand with the *WD-001* code, or anything similar, avoid it like the plague.

10. monodax

monodax Member

I 100% agree with you jase, The CD's I purchased are found at Office Max which they say Kyocera on the spool label. I got them super cheap and loaded up on them. On the spool they say 32x but I believe totally they are 16x media rebranded. I don't know if Ritek knows that they are sold @ what speed when they sell them. I really wished their where some kind of true standard you could go by when purchasing media so you could guarantee what disc where in the underlying package without having to run ATIP. I see that Ritek media seems to be the way to go for DVD's but quality seems to differ greatly on CD-R's.