1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ritek is giving me more coasters than ever..

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jetsetter, Nov 6, 2004.

1. jetsetter

jetsetter Member

i just bought a batch of ritek G04 and for some reason i keep getting burn errors with my lite-on sohw-1213s. has anybody else been having probs with ritek? i only bought ritek cos they are compatible on most standalones that i've tried. do you think i could be my burner? also, do certain burners have a higher success rate of the finished discs being compatible with standalones? or does the burner not matter at all?

2. cruester

cruester Member

I've been using Ritek G04 for a while with 100% sucess, but just recently in a 25 pack I've had 6 coasters out of 15 discs so far. Some were different movies and all of them eventually were sucessfully burned. Just thought it was kinda weird. Not sure if it was the Ritek's.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jetsetter,
    I think you will find you will have better results with +r media since Lite-ons prefer +r. I too started having problems with G04's but managed to still have some successful burns at 2x.

Meanwhile I have switched to Ritek Ridata dvd+r (Ricohjpn R01) and never looked back. My Litey loves this media. If your stand-alone is not compatable with +r media, you can use a bitsetting tool to format to dvd-rom. I booktype all my rip/burns dvd-rom.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Mort81 makes a good point on compatibility and burn speeds. Have you tried a slower burn, if so, what?

Also, are these branded riteks? Without being branded you can never be sure. Use dvdinfopro to check and see what your media really is if they aren't branded.

I use BRANDED Ritek G04, G05, and Ritek Ridata +R, no coasters out of 700 burns.

Compatibility matters mostly on media with player, and media with burner, not burner with player.

5. andyv12

andyv12 Member

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Actually the mountain and streams grade "C" ritek media has been discussed before. These media were intended for South America and got shipped elsewhere by mistake.

They are not the "branded" grade "A" media like the G04, G05, Ridata, etc. They are still as good as ever.

here is a quote from that link to that effect:

Ritek have stopped supplying the silver unbranded disc and you will find supplies of this disc diminishing as stocks run out.

I still think that the Grade A Ritek is one of the best discs around.

7. jetsetter

jetsetter Member

hi,
    do you think i should try ritek dvd+r? (do they make dvd+r?) the reason i switched to -r was cos +r wasnt doing very well as far as compatibility in standalones. so it's probably not my burner then? i did download the booktype program from liteon's website. but i am unsure of exactly what it does. do you simply change the booktype then go ahead and burn with it? could someone maybe elaborate on the dvd-rom setting and the benefit of changing the booktype to that? thanks for any help!
    -jp
    PS: no the ritek's i have are not branded. maybe fakes? i might try imation dvd-r or if i feel like splurging, taiyo yuden.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jetsetter,
    Yes, I would go with some +r media (preferably Ricohjpn although Ritek R03's aren't bad). Lite-ons perform better with +r than with -r and really like Ricohjpn's.

Yes, set to dvd-rom prior to the burn and have at it. Booktyping to dvd-rom will make your dvd+r's as compatable if not more so than dvd-r. Good luck.

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

jetsetter, download dvdinfopro,(free) and load your media in your DVD-ROM drive. Click on media and your drive and see what it says.

I always buy BRANDED :>)

10. wbfconst

wbfconst Regular member

I started using Ritek, Ridata branded 4x+R about a year ago, and it was the end of almost all of my burning problems. If oyur stand alone player doesn't like +R, buy one that does.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Most players nowadays support all formats, some even support divx and mpeg :>)