1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RJ Tech RJ4000 DVD/DivX player review

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by mrxonix, Oct 21, 2003.

1. mrxonix

mrxonix Member

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. juggler

juggler Member

You are not being fair in this review.

I too own a RJ4000 and mine has worked FLAWLESSLY from day one. Bear in mind that divx compatible players are a very new technology. If you spend any time researching the other major suppliers of such equipment (KISS, Mekotek) you will find that they are plagued by endless firmware updates and MAJOR problems playing divx 3.11 or FF/RW on movies.

Having played with my player for a couple of days, may I suggest that many of your problems may be due to poor quality media and burning too quickly.

I have played about 20 Divx films burned to CDR and DVDR and DVDRW (erased and used many times) and have had no problems at all (divx 3.11, 4, 5 all are fine, XVID with mp3 audio or AC3 audio fine). I have played files with framerates of 25, 29, 23.976 and all are fine.

The player will FF/RW files fine (up to 16x). You can use the remote to skip the next movie, no problem (you may have to wait 10 seconds for the next movie to load).

I have had two files choke a little bit while playing, however they were burned on generic media at 16x. The same files are perfect when burned to name brand CDRs or to DVDR (I can put about 7 movies to a disk!)

I own a widescreen Sony HDTV and the image the player produces is as good as the Divx encode will allow (ie. good encode = good viewing). The DVD output of this player is Average and compares favourable to my JVC N40. The $30 Apex DVD player you mention will not produce a better picture or be better built.

Yes, the player takes about 10 seconds to load the index for a Divx movie. I can wait that long.

Yes, the interface is very basic, but it works.

Yes, you might have to take about 6 minutes of your life to burn a movie to CDR.

Yes, the build of the player has a cheap feel (plastic box, pc disk drive), but mine cost me only $112! What did you expect?

If you are not going to return your RJ4000, I urge you to spend a bit more time with the player.

Keep in mind, it IS a cheap player. Mine cost $112. To get a DVD player that handles my divx files for that money is great.

3. mrxonix

mrxonix Member

4. juggler

juggler Member

N0 mrxonix I do not work for RJTech or sell players.

My report was not intended as a review. It was a reporting of my experience with the player, which clearly is different from yours.

I have since spent more time with the player and had two other movies that had minor freezing issues. In both cases these completely disappeared when the files were reburned with better media.

I am not the only one who has had a positive experience with this player. Here are a couple of other reviews:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=3236&Search=Search&#comments

mrxonix good luck with your player.

5. juggler

juggler Member

I just received an email from RJTech. They have just release new firmware, which according to them adds subtitle support, zoom function on Divx and better handling of .avi formats.

I have not tried it yet.

6. mrxonix

mrxonix Member

7. juggler

juggler Member

Hello,

I am not trying to start a running debate here, but I do feel I should report that my experience, again, is vastly different than mrxonix.

Divx 5 works just fine on my RJ4000 (I just watched two Div5 movies yesterday). The player does not support files with QPEL or GMC (there is no hardware-based divx player on the market that does) and I do have a couple of Div5 files with QPEL that generate a "codec not supported" error on the RJ4000.

The player is not perfect. The zoom function on divx files (newly implemented) only supports 2x. Widescreen divx files are output as 4:3 with black bars added on a widescreen tv. The DVD playback is average. There are reports that the subtitle support is still not working correctly (I have not tested this).

I'm very pleased with my player.

mrxonix, you really should contact your retailer for a refund or replacement unit (maybe you got a malfunctioning unit?).

Good luck.

8. mrxonix

mrxonix Member

9. juggler

juggler Member

mrxonix:

I don't really know what QPEL or GMC are either (I think
    they are part on the divx codec and are related to higher
    quality encoding of video with motion). I believe it is a
    user-selectable option for encoding with Divx 5 and
    above.

I have two disks. One has a Div5 file, the other XVID.
    When I inserted them, the player attempted to read the
    index and then reported:
    "QPEL, unsupported codec" on the screen.

<<"If a player fails this simple test - it is a lemon and
    not worth having.">>
    Again, no player on the market today can handle QPEL or
    GMC. You may want to wait for the "next generation" of
    players coming out next year or the year after that (with
    more powerful chips) or use your PC with a TV-out card.

If your seller is so elusive and difficult to deal with, you
    may want to add them to your review page.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  10. mrxonix

mrxonix Member

11. jfaust97

jfaust97 Member

I read MRxonix's article and the response articles from JUGGLER....
    I am quite torn now...
    Maybe you got a bad player?
    I was thinking of send you each 5 identical Divx movies each....
    Various Burn Rates... Various Divx versions....etc... but each exactly as the other one got...
    And you guys could post the results and put this thing to rest...
    As I see it... it is possible that the method in which you burn your Divx movies would definitely be a deciding factor...
    Or maybe MRxonix just got a bad unit and a bit of bad luck with his seller on Ebay?
    Which is unfortunate...
    At any rate... if you 2 are up to this challenge.... it will also let me know if my movies will work and tell me if I am willing to drop $118 myself...

Thanks
    jeremy@aheadofmytime.com

12. juggler

juggler Member

My player is still working fine. It IS very very picky about media though. I have had freezing problems with divx movies on CD and they have ALWAYS disappeared when the same file is burned to DVDR/DVDRW.

The only real drawback for me is the fact that it displays widescreen divx files in 4:3 format on my 16:9 tv. If a future firmware update corrects this, I will be a very, very happy owner.

13. shnuff

shnuff Member

Hello to the battle of the hardware divxplayers.
    I own a KISS-DP450 for almost a year now.
    I played more than 150 different DIVX/XVID movies on it and it's perfect quality. perfect with subs and does everything it claims to do.
    I player movies on a dvd+r/w (That write!, Arita and Verbatim media)even on ALDI CD's
    The price of this amazing machine is €179,- at divxplayer.nl (I'm Dutch).
    Every month or two there is a firmware upgrade making the player even more easy to use and more stable (not that it ever freezed).
    And one note to MRxonix before you start cryuing that something doesn't work.
    Search some info on the internet on divx and divx players than you don;'t have to cry all the time and you know how to handle your problem. (www.vcdhelp.com or afterdawn).
    Bring back (or buy a desent divxplayer) just remember what my grandma always said
    'You can't sit first row forer a penny'.

Good luck with your battle and keep fighting juggler.
    PS I don't work for any divx or DVD company either.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  14. Jesus1

Jesus1 Member

hey i'm reading all these reviews and i really want a rj4000 because i want to play my avi files on there and i see 2 guys fighting about it, this doesn't sound good, before i buy it i have some questions to the guy who is happy with it.... so let me get this straight...all you have to do is burn .avi files on your cd-r and put it in your dvd player and it should play right? i'm not sure exactly what they mean but divx files, i play all my movies on media player and all are .avi. so please let me know if .avi should play fine with no problems and what exactly is divx files. thanx and GOD BLESS MOUSSA

15. techlover

techlover Member

Well guys, I think what this sounds like, and could be very possible is that perhaps the guy who has a bad review has a defective product.
    There's no reason for one to work with all types of media another not to. You both have the same software! If I were you, I'd exchange it for a new one and see if it makes a difference. good luck!

16. xsniperx

xsniperx Member

mrxonix dude go back to dvd's!!!

i think that if your divx player is not performing up to your standards mabe you should return it and look into another digital home theater unit.
    i would advise maybe the sony store or radio shack would have a discount dvd player thats more simple to use and has colure coded buttons that are more user friendly.
    because from what you have said about a good player and a growing company that putting out a product,rember that it is still new to the market,
    divx i mean.
    maybe someing like kenwood or panasonic would be more fitting for you .
    and that has buttons that are easier to see and use
    and a on screen display that a monkey could use.
    give up divx and switch back to dvd players and please don't cry about the divx player get a life you sad sad loser....
    it's a good idea and they need more time to perfect the the firmware and hardware.
    and then they can make it simple for users like you!

17. Jesus1

Jesus1 Member

hey man u don't need to put people down just because they were complaining about their dvd player, you want to get what you paid for and he's just a bit mad about what he got because it wasn't playing what he thought it played, maybe something is wrong with this dvd player and he doesn't know it. no need to put him down and call him a cry baby and a loser for you own pleasure. and i'm not trying to offend you but you tell him to get a life and stop crying about it. well you took the time to write this bad stuff about him, who doesn't have a life now? and i'm not sayin u don't have a life but you did what he did so that doesn't make you any better then him, u know? just want people to respect each other then let each other down like that. by the way, i see your sn is XsniperX, do you play sc, or why is it sniper? God bless moussa

18. AishaDad

AishaDad Member

I need the latest (any) updates for this player. RJ Tech support seems to be none existence.

19. jfaust97

jfaust97 Member

I just bought one....
    I will let you know how it goes...

http://AHEADOFMYTIME.COM ...... Interactive Solutions ..... 630-926-2204 .... Geneva Naperville Oswego Oakbrook Schaumburg Aurora Chicago Illinois IL web and website design and development firm company.

20. jfaust97

jfaust97 Member

I just bought one....
    I will let you know how it goes...

http://AHEADOFMYTIME.COM/Interactive Solutions/630-926-2204/Geneva Naperville Oswego Oakbrook Schaumburg Aurora Chicago Illinois IL web and website design and development firm company.