1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RMS or Maximum for Nero audio burn

Discussion in 'Audio' started by adamsmyth, Oct 8, 2004.

1. adamsmyth

adamsmyth Guest

I've been digging through past postings and found a similar question to the one I have, but my diffeence is this: When setting the normalize filter on Nero5.5, why would one use Maximum (which goes up to 99 in the setting) or RMS(root-mean-square) which starts by default at 20. You can raise or lower this one incrementaly, BUT,
    this still gets a little confusing. Any takers? Much obliged!!

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Normalization is the process where you scan an audio file, determine the average level and then increase or reduce the levels of the file so it reaches as a whole the level you have chosen (99%) without peeking over the threshold of your sound output to create saturation . You would normalize before you burn to disc as the last step in mastering.

However, one must consider that some balads dont have to be played at full volume and are better left alone, hence , you can say that mastering to maximum is not needed in all cases.

3. adamsmyth

adamsmyth Guest

I'm getting you there. I think that's what Nero is doing when you select Normalize in the filters just before burning it onto the CD. But the description they give on the panel that appears when you select Normaize, gives a very meager explanation of what the Maximum or the RMS methods do, much less why you may want to choose one over the other. Hopefully I'm zeroing in on the focus of my question, so, I hope it's a making sense. I've tried the Nero sight for tutorials, and they were as vague as the Help menu or the manual. So, still wondering....
    Thanks in advance for any further explanation.