1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rom trouble!

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by jenk, Nov 16, 2004.

1. jenk

jenk Member

hi,i hope someone can solve this problem!when i put a cd/dvd in the rom it starts to load the green light comes on then it just stops loading:it wont play or reconise anything.can anyone help me please!!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is it a new drive or old drive, have you tried cleaning the laser lens

3. jenk

jenk Member

its 4 months old and its not the lens.1 week ago i had the same problem and had to reinstall windows,then it was fine but today i installed nero burning rom and afterwards it this happened!i cant do that again because the writer doesnt write and i cant save anything!!
    thanx for the reply

4. ddp

unistall from device manager, reboot & let windows find & reinstall drivers & than try nero again. do you have or access to another computer to put rom in to see if problem follows or not as possible hardware problem that should be under warranty

5. jenk

jenk Member

im new to this!could you walk me through it? The part where I get to "Device Manager", please. Thanks.

6. ddp

what windows do you have 1st

7. jenk

jenk Member

8. ddp

goto start/control panel/system than device manager, click on cdrom drives, highlite the drive you want to remove & click remove than restart windows & see what happens. post results

9. jenk

jenk Member

start/control panel/system then there is no option for
    divice manager.i get system properties:restore system,name of equipment/remote access/hardware ect.

10. ddp

try hardware as i am using win98se i am going by memory

11. jenk

jenk Member

found them!both drives have a little yellow expclanation mark beside them,then it says for the rom-windows cant start it because the configuration information(in the registry)is incomplete or broken(code 19)for the writer-it cant find the hard ware deposit (code 41) what now?

thanx

12. jenk

jenk Member

done what you said,removed them and strated windows, but all is the same!!same errors!!!!!!!
    any other ideas??
    thanxs

13. ddp

do they have exclamation marks on them???

14. jenk

jenk Member

yes in yellow boxes

15. jenk

jenk Member

thanx ddp,you pointed me in the right direction.found the solution and hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
    great site by the way!

SYMPTOMS
    After you remove either compact disc (CD) recording software or other software from your computer, your computer may exhibit the following behavior: • In My Computer, there is no access to your CD-ROMs.
    • In Device Manager, the following error message appears in connection with any CD-ROM device that is part of your computer system:
    The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).
    • Device Manager displays the following error message:
    A driver for this device was not required, and has been disabled (Code 32 or Code 31).
    You may also receive an error Code 39 message that indicates that the driver is corrupted.

• Device Manager displays the following error Code 19 message, which means that the registry returned some unknown result:
    Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)
    • You may also receive the following error message:
    Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

RESOLUTION
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps: 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

STATUS
    This is a known issue that can occur when you remove Easy CD Creator version 5.01 or earlier or DirectCD version 3.01c or earlier. This issue may also occur with Easy CD Creator version 5.01 and with DirectCD 3.01d or later.
    MORE INFORMATION
    There may be other third-party CD-writing software products that exhibit similar behavior. Some or all of the troubleshooting steps in this article might apply if such a product also adds entries under the UpperFilters or LowerFilters value in the registry, either by adding its own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values outlined in this article that begin with:
    WARNING: Make sure that you perform a backup of your registry before making any changes. The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

16. jenk

jenk Member

17. ddp

good for you, teach & learn

18. hwynboy

hwynboy Member

Hi I also have this same problem where neither of my CD ROMs are being recognized..I went to do the solution provided by Jenk but when I go to delte the number in the registry key section it says cannot delete....error while deleting key...(and the long number)

Can anyone else help me as what to do now?

Thanks.

19. ddp

what windows & is there an exclamation mark in the device manager, also does the bios/motherboard sees your drives

20. hwynboy

hwynboy Member

windows xp and yes the drives are recognized....I think as they show up as new hardware...but I cant get it to run? I click my computers and there is no D and E drive.