1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router and CPU

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by darkradar, Mar 30, 2007.

1. darkradar

darkradar Member

Hi,
    I have a D-link router and I have two computers connected to it. One of them is a desktop connected with a cable running Windows XP professional and the other is a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop running Windows Vista Ultimate connected by a built in wireless card. Sometimes, I am on the internet wirelessly with the laptop and all of a sudden, the computer gets limited connectivity. The one connected with a wire still has a good connection. I have to reconnect every time this happens. Sometimes it happens every 4 or 5 hours but just now, it happend 5 times in 30 minutes. Please Help. Oh yeah I have WPA-2 security.

2. 3lement

3lement Regular member

I cant understand why you wouldnt get connectivity (limited). is the one wireless. if not then it might be one of your computers kicking th other one off the network. it might think its a hacker. are you sharing resources between the two computers or only share internet?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sounds like wireless antenna in laptop is not very good. try laptop near router to see if still has problem or not than move laptop away from router. noticed that when working on a customer's laptop.

4. haza12d

haza12d Regular member

Wireless phones in your house? 2.4GHz frequency? Same frequency of your router? Could cause interference whenever theres an incoming- call. You can try to update your firmware for your router at D-Link's website. Had this problem before, the firmware update did the trick.

5. darkradar

darkradar Member

It is a D-link WBR-1310 rev D router running 4.00 firmware which is the most up to date. I have some wireless phones on 2.4GHz frequency but it happens even when the phone is not in use.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

1. look into setting up network sharing on the main PC if it is not already.
    2. is all of the router security information set up correctly on the laptop?

7. elokito

elokito Regular member

change the wifi channel