1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router Bottleneck?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by luke35whelan, Jan 16, 2012.

1. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

I cant find an exact answer to this question, simple I know. If I'm hard wired to the router, is the output speed limited to the routers speed, or is the same as the output of the modem? My PS3 is hard wired to the router with a cat6 cable,th router is only a "G". I know its better to go straight from the modem but Id rather not have to swap calbes round. Would it be better to run a switch between the modem and router and run the PS3 off the switch? Thanks in advance.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your speed limitation is to do with your internet provider not with what you have setup presently. why have a switch between the modem & router when a router is better then a switch? is that router also wireless as you mention it is a "G"?

3. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

Yea, it's a Linksys wireless router. I guess what I'm getting at is this: Lets say the internet coming from my modem is faster than the router is rated. I know the router is limited wirelessly to it's rated output. If my PS3 is hard wired to that router, is that connection limited as well? Does the router slow down the data transfer when something is hard wired if the internet input is faster than the router is rated? Thanks, by the way.

4. ddp

most if not all routers have a speed of 100mbps so unless your modem is directly connected to a fiber optic to your internet provider then your router can go faster then your modem. router slows down when 2 or more computers are downloading at the same time whether wired or wireless.

5. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

OK, cool. Thanks again.

6. ddp

no problem.