1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

router causing disconnection from web?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jamescatt, Oct 24, 2011.

1. jamescatt

jamescatt Member

hi. i recently got a new router. a d-link dir-615. ok for first few weeks then costantly getting disconnected from web. this has happened before, last spring with a phillips router, then i got in touch with my isp (virgin media) who said it was the router. disconnected router and all was well. now same thing happening again with new router, everything ok when not using it. so two different routers with same problem. any advice to solve this would be much appreciated.

thank you

jimmy

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. aldan

aldan Active member

its quite possible that you have yet another bad router.i had three go down before i had one that lasted more than a year.when it disconnects unplug the power to the router for ten seconds or so.then hook it back up.if it connects after that it is,in my opinion,the router.

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i'd say check your network card.i'd also say check your wires (my router has 1 from phone socket to back of router,there'd be an ethernet cable if using wired connection).if possible get a friend with a laptop to connect to your router at your place and see if it disconnects on the laptop(could be software issue).could be a faulty splitter/filter if your using one or even a faulty phoneline.then again you could be very unlucky and have 2 faulty routers.

4. jamescatt

jamescatt Member

thank you for your advice, will try all. if it is the router will get one from virgin direct then if that goes down they can sort it out with any luck.

cheers

5. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

have you tried reseting router they should be a switch on the side of it then just enter yor pin which is on the back of it. also if u have a mobile phone with wifi on it try and connect through that if you can its not the router.

6. jamescatt

jamescatt Member

just to update. followed advice from all, got mate to check card and router, seemed fine so just reset it and crossed fingers. seems to have done the trick had no problems since advice on forums. late reply for waiting to see if it messes up. so thank you all for your advice once again. most appreciated. sods law it will go wrong after i post.