1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router Help Needed (please teleport if not in appropriate place)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by magus7091, Dec 4, 2007.

1. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

I'm trying to extend the range of my wireless network, by using one router as a bridge to another. The problem is this: I have 2 routers, both linksys, and neither will function as a bridge without being hardwired to the other, thereby eliminating my purpose. Please advise as to what router will function as a bridge wirelessly. I'm looking for something under $50 if possible. Existing wireless connection is 802.11 G.

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

what you should do is switch the firmware to third party; dd-wrt is a nice setup for linksys routers. HERE is info on how to setup a router to be a wireless bridge with dd-wrt.

before you upgrade to third party firmware, you have to check the model and version number of the router. improper firmware can brick the router.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  3. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

I'd rather not use third-party firmware. However, if this is the only option, can I install it on ONLY one? If so, which one?

Also, are there any routers that will do this out of the box?

Thanks!

4. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Still looking for other options aside from installing 3rd party firmware on my router, and still need to know whether or not both need the 3rd party firmware installed if that's the only option. I seem to recall someone saying that belkin routers have this ability, does anyone know if that's true?

5. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

you only need to install third party firmware on one router; the one acting as a bridge. you can keep the original firmware on the router connected to your internet model.

as for the belkins, you'll have to look for older models. according to THIS, the 7000 and up series doesn't have the bridge function anymore.