1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by philip22, Feb 15, 2007.

1. philip22

philip22 Member

what my problem is i originally had my computer upstairs but then wanted it downstairs on my tele so i bought a router.conneted the router to my modem upstairs and then a receiver to the computer downstairs.

i have now got another computer which i am putting up stairs.i am getting a bit stuck now i have connected a usb from the new computer upstairs to the other slot in the modem and the internet wont work.when i connect it to the modem it says connected but wont work.

i am rather stuck now as i dont know what to do. i was thinkin i have to change them both round as that might become the master computer up stairs but tha me guessing any help much appreciated

thanks phil

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

3. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

i've never tried using both the usb and ethernet ports at the same time on my modem but maybe thats your problem if your close enough to use the usb just grab another ehternet cable and wire it into your new comp or get a wireless adapter if your using a wireless router ( which i think you are)

4. steimy

steimy Active member

if your router also has an ethernet port than you have to use that, and not the USB. I know i had the same problem with my cable modem which gave you a choice of hooking it up through USB or ethernet. When i went with a wireless router i was told that it can not use the USB anymore and must be hooked up with the ethernet.