1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router wont work

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ShaneXH, Jan 29, 2005.

1. ShaneXH

ShaneXH Guest

I bought this "Retail plus" router (yeah cheap generic stuff)...ne ways I was hoping to use it to hook my xbox up to my dsl connection...so I could have Live at the same time as internet.... ne ways for some reason the router didnt come with a driver disk or installation cd....I did the stuff it told me too....and it worked perfectly fine for ftp....but I couldnt get it to work so that the xbox and computer could have a dsl connection...when I try to connect to the internet from my computer through it this error message comes up....but when I connect my computer directly to the dsl modem it works fine...I have windows xp, a D-Link DSL modem, and a Retail plus router..Ill probably just have to get a quality router...but if I can get this one to work I can save some money

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Your router has an address, you 'visit' it at that address (typically 192.168.0.1) and configure it from within your Internet Browser.
    Note that your router does not need to be hooked up to the internet at the time it is being configured.
    The router needs to be setup as DHCP server - then any clients set to be DHCP clients (set to get their settings assigned automatically) will be hooked up at the time they boot.
    The router must first hook up with the DSL modem and establish connection, as per your ISP.
    Computer(s) on your LAN are then assigned addresses in a private range, typically Class C ie. 192.168.0.xxx
    The router then performs a network address translation (NAT) on incoming & outgoing packets whenever a device on the LAN requests a connection to the internet.
    A router therefore makes an excellent hardware firewall! Just make sure it has a truly obscure password, and your LAN will be well sheltered :)
    Regards

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  3. ShaneXH

ShaneXH Guest

Thanks, I got it to work....but I was wondering if you would know how to get it to ftp with the xbox, like is there something special I have to do....my xbox works with xbox live through it...and I was able to ftp before....note my computer is a little messed up at the moment it could just be the software

4. ShaneXH

ShaneXH Guest

Thanks, I got it to work....but I was wondering if you would know how to get it to ftp with the xbox, like is there something special I have to do....my xbox works with xbox live through it...and I was able to ftp before....note my computer is a little messed up at the moment it could just be the software

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Do you mean FTP into the XBox from the internet, through the router?
    Here is some info that will help you:
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/apps-behind-router.asp
    Not that getting something to work behind a router is similar to behind a (software) firewall, you must configure to allow the traffic through the specific ports to pass.
    This is a somewhat complex topic; Google for more info or get a 'Networking Essentials' textbook.
    L8R

6. Jr24

Jr24 Regular member

Why wont my router wont transfer my IP address? Some1 help please.