1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

router

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mariusz03, Sep 22, 2006.

1. mariusz03

mariusz03 Guest

my router doesn't connect me to the internet, when I connect my modem alone to the pc it works but when I connect the modem to the router the connection is dropped, how do I fix it?

2. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

You probably have a DSL connection and need your router to set up for PPPoE. There should be instructions on the manual on how to set it up.

3. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Likely what is wrong is the router's mac address. (this is assuming you're running Windows) Connect your PC to the modem directly, open a command prompt window by clicking run and typing cmd and type ipconfig /all (space between ipconfig and the /) that will show you the MAC address of your computer, labelled as physical address. Leave that window open and connect your computer to the router then go to http: //192.168.1.1 (no spaces, space intentional to prevent message board from converting it to a link) then find the settings of your router, and find the one for mac address then enter that in, once you do that all you should have to do is do a DHCP release/renew, should be in the connection settings, and at that point your router should be connected to the internet, then just test it by going to any website.