1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roxio burn failures Please help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by michael36, Feb 3, 2005.

1. restart

restart Member

Hey guys! Did you read his reference to Roxio. He said it was in error. If you read his dump, you would see that he had Nero not Roxio.

2. michael36

michael36 Member

Yup, as the previous poster points out, I was using Roxio.

Uninstalling both Roxio and Nero caused me to be unable to access my cd/dvd devices.

Tried reinstalling the ASPI layer (both generic and Nero). No joy.

Following advice I then deleted following key from my Reg.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I rebooted and hey presto I get an error message telling me that my video driver isn't working and i can't fix it because my input devices aren't working either.

I'm coming to you live from another machine now.

Any suggestions as to how I can get my main system back with the least amount of damage would be welcome.

TIA Michael

3. Buik

Buik Regular member

It may be time to just start fresh.

Re-install windows (after you let it reformat your Hard Drive) and then re-install all of the other software you you need. Exclude Roxio of course.

Some system Specs would also be helpful.

TC

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

dam roxio apps.............

ok try to go back to a restore piont, day before the hassle! have you got xp OS?

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Damn Nero and a bunch of others the same time you're damning Roxio. (Me, I like both of them. I find myself using Nero more because it seems to be more useful when doing DVD recordings.)

InCD in the Nero suite is as bad or worse than the Drag to Disc in the Roxio Easy Creator suite. For quite a while a lot of people have known that batch writing software is a serious problem on some machines when doing DVD recording. Those programs are constantly trying to access the drive while recording apps are using the drive.

Without the Drag to Disc I've had no problems with Roxio and without InCD I've had none out of Nero. I did have problems before deleting the InCD. The recent Roxio-Sonic software is some good apps and better than a bunch of the apps out there.

In the device manager, there is the option to reload the drivers. Entering the selection will normally do it unless they got deleted. You may need to reload the OS with the drivers for the system. I don't know your configuration, but my PC has a floppy drive. I can access the system with a boot disc which has temp drivers for the system drives. I've used the drive for complete formats instead of just overwrites. If your drivers have been deleted and you have no drive access, you have the option of getting the drivers through your email acct and copying them into the system, over the internet, or with a system installation floppy. If you don't have a floppy, possibly an external would work.

Without the drivers, the drives will just not work and it seems like some where in your cleanup you may have deleted them.

With Memorex the problem is CMC Magnetics. That is the manufacturer that has driven the brand name down. Memorex has been associated with a number of the top manufacturers over the years and some media is still made by top companies. Philips used to make the +RW and Ricoh is now. The -RW has recently been a Prodisc product. Ricoh was making most of the +R, but some of that went to CMC (so buying +R is sort of a toss up now). The last +R Memorex I got was CMC, so I stopped buying the brand. Most of the Memorex -R is made by CMC, a slight portion is Ritek. Brand associations with manufacturers changes often. In the case of Memorex, the CMC relation has messed up Memorex's rep.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

interesting........

7. bardie

bardie Regular member

Ditto

8. brobear

brobear Guest

[bold]WARNING: Make sure that you perform a backup of your registry before making any changes.[/bold]

They should have put that in the beginning in double sized red print. If you'd done that, you could have at least got back to where you were.

I read the same article and I didn't see that at all. It said to delete upper and lower filters, not the key itself. You now have to go back and reinstall your OS if you didn't back up the registry.

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

would a repair windows, rather than the format and fresh install work? so as not to loose anything.

boot from cdrom with the xp disc and follow that the repair part...

10. brobear

brobear Guest

That's where opinions differ. It's not going to be a reformat or anything so drastic. It's just running the installation disc and reinstalling the OS. The entire OS is overwritten, and all drivers and components reinstalled. Granted, the repair sometimes works, but sometimes it doesn't get everything back, then you have to do the overwrite anyway. In a case like this, I'd say the reinstallation of the OS is the best bet. If one has the time to kill, try the repair; it could work. It would save some time and trouble if it did. If not, it wastes more time. As I said, I'd go with the overwrite, it's the sure thing the first time; but then, opinions vary.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

true the repair is only a quick fix, maybe to get files needed taken off etc for backup, but if it were me i would go format and clean fresh install most definately!

as i personnally couldnt live with those type errors as they are serious!

infact i do my system once a year and its due now for me...

as its getting quite cluttered with tons of apps loaded and unloaded, leaves allsorts of files, and slows the system down somewhat....

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Rotary
    Appears we agree after all. I just like to go ahead and get all the problems out of the way at once. If I'm going to do that much work, I don't want to be going back in and repeating the process.

13. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Wow, sorry that didn't work.

Well, like Rotary suggested, see if you get back to a restore point that will let you back in.

14. michael36

michael36 Member

Thanks Brobear for your observation as to what exactly it was that [bold]I [/bold]did that caused my problems. It makes so much sense to me now.

Having spent years being anal about backing up it only seems fitting that I should get my just desserts for being cavalier with my registery yesterday. A clean install and rebuild isn't a bad idea. It's just going to be a lot of work.

Do any of you operate seperate hard drives / virtual stand alone machines to do your burning on? Seems to me if I just had a HD with an OS and the burning software on it and never connected it to the internet I could run a cleaner safer operation. Hard drives being so cheap now.

Also thanks for the comments vis-a-vis Memorex and manufacturers. Can you point me to a resource that explains how to recognize which company made particular brand offerings?

I'll be down at Spadina and College, Toronto's computer casbah shopping for a new burner and media on Tuesday. Wish me luck eh!

15. bardie

bardie Regular member

Michael, just one comment, I have a seperate 80 gig hard drive that I rip all my movies to and use it for nothing else. I keep 6 or so favorite movies on it just in case I need another copy and delete the ones I don't need to keep.
    I defrag it weekly.
    It is an external USB 2 Hard drive so that I can take with me to other families computers.
    Good luck.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

One good plan of action is to partition your main drive if it is a large one. You can have a drive configuration where you have all the programs on your Main drive, and that won't be continually fragmented by adding and deleting programs. You can record to the other partition just as you would another physical drive. I have 2 hard drives, one is 250 GB partitioned to 2 125GB partitions. Then I have a separate 80GB drive. I use one partition for the programming, C: and the other, D:, for recording video. The separate drive, E:, is used for video as well.