1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.1 Basic

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TO_prob, Jan 15, 2005.

1. TO_prob

TO_prob Member

This may be a simple problem (I hope). During the past year I had a hard-drive crash and decided at that time to upgrade to XP at the same time. With '98 I could use my CD simply as another drive and just save to it. After installing XP, my CD no longer works like that. I was told that Roxio (automatically loaded with XP) works as a drag-and-drop tool and that I need to upgrade from the Basic to a higher version for its full usage capabilies. Someone mentioned that I needed to upgrade Roxio but their site won't let me upgrade. Any help out there for me? P.S. I haven't loaded XP SP2 yet.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmm....OK no.1-Roxio isn't the best in the world. It causes a lot of problems with other software, especially the drag and drop feature. You probably have an OEM version of Roxio and they are gonna make you pay for a higher version.

No.2- SP2 is only mainly for security, and it definitely causes problems with other software, especially DVD. I am sticking with SP1 and my McAfee LOL. I can show you all kinds of horror stories if you'd like. If you have good security, I'd stay away from that also.

No.3- Before spending any money on Roxio why not use shrink 3.2 and Dvd Decrypter. Both are free and do a much better job than Roxio IMHO. You can get both here in AD and there are all kinds of guides. If you need help I'll be more than happy to assist. I would also uninstall roxio before using shrink/decrypter.

3. TO_prob

TO_prob Member

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, it is am OEM version. Is your suggestion also applicable for a CD-RW being used as a writable drive? With '98 it worked in the background with no access to Roxio needed to use it as a drive. I used to use it as a client backup and saved the files to the CD-RW everytime I saved to the Hard drive, never using drag-n-drop utilities. Will "shrink 3.2" also work this way?

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

No, unfortunately you'll need a DVD burner to use shrink. I was under the impression you were wanting to backup movies. You can use Nero to write with a CD writer.

It comes in the Nero Ultra 6 suite, an entire suite of audio and video programs which you can use for free each and every month for the entire month til you decide to buy(which I highly recommend). You must reinstall it each month and then you are good to go for that month

You'll like it much better than Roxio, guarantee:>)

BTW, if you are planning on doing any DVD burning, you'll need a burner. They are fairly cheap nowadays. You can get dual format burners for 50.00-60.00 everywhere. I recommend LiteOn, Pioneer, NEC, or Plextor.

5. TO_prob

TO_prob Member

Great thanks. After having spent most of the afternoon on THIS problem, I'll use your suggestion and let you know that (hopefully) I was successful with NERO. I'll be upgrading this computer soon and that one'll have a DVD for sure. I'm just trying to get this one up and running properly, as my husband is getting this one when I upgrade my office PC. Thanks again.

6. TO_prob

TO_prob Member

Well, it's now 1-1/2 hours later and my CD-RW still won't operate as a drive and copy files onto an existing CD-RW disk. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'll give up for today. Maybe I need "professional" help.