1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roxio Easy DVD copy vs. Sonic Record Now

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by crimey617, Jan 2, 2005.

1. crimey617

crimey617 Guest

My Dell computer came with Sonic Record Now already installed. I purchased Roxio Easy DVD Copy and use it alonf with DVD Shrick to back up DVD's. I still use Sonic to burn CD's and to erase CD RW and DVD RW's. My question is this. Will it cause any problems with DVD burning if I left both Sonic AND Roxio installed on my machine?

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Most here do not like roxio, I would recommend getting rid. I do not know how sonics' software is. Roxio does NOT like other apps. 99% of people prefer to use shrink with either nero or decrypter.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello chimey, I agree with pulsar, roxio gives many people problems. Dvd shrink and nero is all I use. Nero is also great on cd burning,and pretty simple.Many roxio users already switched. You can also use dvd decrypter. It has a burn engine and is a more powerful ripper.

If you decide to get rid of roxio, use this tool. It should remove roxio's entire program: hppt://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

I don't hear about many forum members using sonic record now.

Good luck on which route you take.

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

I agree, I had Roxio and it caused lots of problems.
    I now use Nero with no problems at all.
    I also went away from Sonic Record Now, and just use three programs: Nero, DVD Shrink and DVd Decrypter.

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Having said that, if it works for you then marvellous. But I really would recommend the previous advice for trouble free burning!

6. crimey617

crimey617 Guest

I actually tried using NERO but 75% of the time I burned coasters so I got fed up with it. I have had no problems with Roxio to date

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

That is very unusual for nero to burn so many coasters, I suspect it may be conflicting with Roxio or other software, or you are possibly not doing something correctly. But hey, whatever works!!

8. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I know I'm resurrecting a slightly old thread, but I'm having a hard time getting any useful information from the fora about Roxio Easy DVD [bold]Copy[/bold]. As a newbie, I've dutifully searched before posting, and the couple of postings I've found about Roxio Easy DVD [bold]Copy[/bold] seem to confuse it with the Roxio Easy CD/DVD [bold]Creator[/bold]. Yes, there are lots of complaints about the latter. They do not necessarily apply to the former.

Though hardly an expert, from what I can tell, the two are completely separate products. Based on my newbie experiences, Roxio Easy DVD [bold]Copy[/bold] is kind of a CloneDVD+Shrink alternative. I've only been ripping and burning DVD's for about a month, and have tried a lot of different programs to get the feel of what works best for me. Early on, I bought a copy of Roxio Easy DVD [bold]Copy[/bold], and in my initial naivete thought it just another alternative to CloneDVD. Everybody seemed to rave about the latter, so I downloaded the trial version. For a couple of weeks, I was madly ripping and burning dvd's using Decrypter (to rip), and the trial version of CloneDVD2 to burn. Everything was going along smoothly, and I was about to purchase a registration for Clone DVD.

At that point, I hadn't even opened the box for Roxio Easy DVD [bold]Copy[/bold]. In a moment of rare prudence, I decided I should give it a try before spending the money on CloneDVD2. To my surprise, it was more than just an alternative to CloneDVD2; it also had features comparable to DVD Shrink. Don't get me wrong, I've tried DVD Shrink a time or two, and I get the impression that it is a very powerful program, with a lot more control over the shrink process than Roxio Easy DVD [bold]Copy[/bold]. But for the newbie, like myself, who wouldn't even know where to begin to use the advanced features of DVD Shrink (apart from the usually helpful guides here), Roxio Easy DVD [bold]Copy[/bold] has a very intuitive GUI interface to the shrink process that meakes it easy to use.

So far, I've been very happy with the combo of DVD Decrypter and Roxio Easy DVD [bold]Copy[/b]. It is too bad that it keeps getting an undeserved knock around here because of the tendency to confuse it with the [bold]Creator[/bold] product.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Sonic? Roxio? Sonic-Roxio, that's it; and with Easy DVD Copy for recording DVD movies, not Easy Creator. Easy Creator is the package we used to think of as Roxio. Even with that package, the culprit for interfering with DVD Recording was mainly the packet writing software, Drag To Disc. As far as Sonic goes, it is a respected name and their software is not to be overlooked.

bazilla got it right, don't mix up the products because they fall under the same brand. Sonic Solutions and Roxio are now intertwined. Sonic and Roxio, or rather Sonic-Roxio, has a good software solution for recording DVD movies now. It may not be the best, but it does do a decent job and is comparable in quality to most similar products on the market.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Just saying Roxio covers too much territory and is confusing in the current software market. That would be like saying use Ahead (Nero) to record. Which program and for what?

11. 2bizzy

2bizzy Member

Here is a basic fix for burning CD's and DVD's, don't forget to turn OFF your Norton Anti-virus program, and your "network" connection while burning. I have ruined many sessions when my computer aborted the burn mid-way to search for an update for Norton or Windows.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

2bizzy
    That statement could be broadened to say, "don't leave programs running that can interfere with the recording process." I leave my AV on because with XP SP2, the system gets unhappy and flashes me. Running a firewall, it is a simple solution to block all traffic. Plus routine processes can interfere. So, the broader statement is more true due to many systems having setup variables. Besides, PCs with high RAM can do more at once than a PC at 256Mb. As a rule of thumb though, you're right. If you can turn it off, turn it off. Be sure to remember to turn the AV back on.