1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rstoring converted Xvid/Divx files to DVD quality question

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Saber9, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Saber9

Saber9 Guest

Are Xvid/Divx files like Mp3s in that once the files has been encoded some quality is lost forever.

I ask because I downloaded the Simpsons Season 10 and they were encoded in Divx3 Low Motion and the quality is bad. I wonder if I could do anything to make them better. Thanks.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

My opinion is that the quality can never increase, it can only decrease.
    If someone is able to suggest us sume trick, he's welcome.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Think currently the DVD release for the simpsons is only upto season 9, so you would probably be looking at 10 year old TV caps. So you have the quality drop from re-encoding, plus the fact that the source probably wasn't the best quality to begin with. But yes, like mp3 DivX/Xvid are lossy compressors.

4. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Lossy-ie-part of the originial data is lost in converting to new format, xvid/divx, h.264, etc. So the file can never be converted back to the originial quality-but then you already knew that-didn't you? But for what it's worth I've experimented with a lot of different conversion programs and the one that I like the best is ConvertXtoDVD.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007