1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumor about Blueray??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by realg187, Sep 28, 2006.

1. realg187

realg187 Guest

I heard the PS3 uses blueray discs. Is this true?? I also heard one finger print will **** up a bluray disk. Is that true also?

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

3. realg187

realg187 Guest

So PS3 has a blu ray drive [conventient as I heard blur ray player cost 1000+, but for 600 and a HD and gaming sysytem...]

Are all PS3 games gonna be bluray??? Can I use mycurreny DVD burner to burn and copy bluray???

ALso if u just touch a blu ray disc, will it damage it??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  4. david66

david66 Regular member

you cannot copy Blu Ray dvds

5. realg187

realg187 Guest

Do ineed a bluray burner??

6. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I believe so, but BR (and HD-DVD) discs are heavily copy-protected. It'll be quite a long time before that's taken care of.

7. realg187

realg187 Guest

'til then I'll stick with normal DVD... Afterall maybe itll fail like beta did!! LOL :)

PS Is it true about if u touch them??

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2006
  8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

I DONT THINK THATS TRUE ABOUT FINGERPRINTS (sorry caps was on) but a small scratch could kill the disk as the data is close to the surface, that all depends how good the scratch proof layer is

time will tell

9. Sniping_G

Sniping_G Regular member

im preety sure there developing a protection coat right now

10. Jay2222

Jay2222 Member

PS3 features a blu-ray drive, no disc are not ruined with a scratch or finger print, you could use a nail on then and they'll work.

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Quote;

"PS3 features a Blu-ray drive, no disc are not ruined with a scratch or finger print, you could use a nail on then and they'll work."

Where did you read that? Are you having a laugh?

12. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Here's the lowdown on BluRay's Hard Coating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

In the 80s they also told us that Cds would be undamageable.

I'll believe the Blu-Ray scratch thing when I see it!

14. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

15. oomox666

oomox666 Member

Hello guys. This is my first post and I just wanted to give my 2 cents on this Bluray hard coating issue.

I own both the Toshiba HD-DVD player and the Samsung BluRay player so basically I support both HD formats. I watch the movies on my Mitsubishi 1080p DLP HDTV. I don't buy most of the movies I watch as I rent about 90 percent of the titles on both formats from Netflix.

Now if you've rented from Netflix before you'll agree with me that most of the discs that arrive at your address won't be in the best condition possible - scratches, smudges and actual cracked and damaged discs sometimes get through. This is the same with ny HD-DVD and BluRay rentals. At least 50 - 60 percent of these discs arrive with smudges and scratches.

I have been fortunate though because just a simple cleaning with a lens cloth and solution does the job. All of the discs that have smudges or scratches have played all the way through without a hitch. I've had movies from different studios: Warner, Sony, Lionsgate and the new Disney releases. All of them have had no hiccups despite visible, sometimes extensive scratching. This is true for both BluRay and HD-DVD.

All I can say is that I think this concern with scratching may be a bit overblown. The lasers in these new machines plus the new hard coating technology on the discs are doing their job.

Just my 2 cents.

16. realg187

realg187 Guest

U can use a nail??

PS Wouldnt 100GB 4 layer Blu Ray be expensive?? 8GB Doulble Layer normal DVD is expensive as it is!!!

17. dvdabyss

dvdabyss Regular member

if you all remember, DVD roms alone were like 700$ when they first came out..now they are like 50$...if you want to save money, give bluray some time, and you will see in a couple months or so,maybe years,they will drop in price. waiting is a good thing for me, it also gives time for them to work out the bugs.

18. realg187

realg187 Guest

I'll wait and see what happens, like I said it could be like Beta, or it could be the next big thing since DVD.. I think it's much too early....

19. dvdabyss

dvdabyss Regular member

I couldnt agree with you more! r.i.p. beta lol

20. Jay2222

Jay2222 Member

I own a br player, have seen a nail being sraped on a disc and attempted it my self, disc still works fine :)