1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running a Home Website

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by observent, Mar 8, 2007.

1. observent

observent Guest

Is it possible to run a web site on a home computer? Im interested =D

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Yes.

You'll need a static IP...and check with your local ISP, cuz a majority of them will not allow home servers. (too much bandwidth)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  3. observent

observent Guest

I have rogers extreme internet with 100 gb bandwidth limit monthly and i dont kno about the servers being allowed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  4. G7RIQ

G7RIQ Guest

If going down the route of hosting your own site from home, O.S. Windows 2000 Pro & XP Pro (and now Vista Ultimate) have both ftp & http facilities. However, personally I think the Windows based OS programs are cr*p. What I use is < Ftpserver v2.01 > which, when it was produced was free, they have now gone to Shareware.

Here is the URL to the page where it is located, (it's right down the bottom).

http://www.free-serve.co.uk/page10.htm

The above site is commercially hosted, but if you try the following URL you might succeed in getting into my " living room " i.e. Home computer.

http://www.mctara.co.uk/

Hope that helps.
    Peter

5. observent

observent Guest

Uh sure lol but like do i need IIS or something forward ports, dydns?.....

6. tefarko

tefarko Member

yes, you´ll need IIS (or any other web server, like Apache) and no need for static IP or DNS, you can use a free dynamic DNS like no-ip.org...

just check with your ISP... some of them block HTTP and FTP ports (80 and 20)...

7. observent

observent Guest

ah bastardss block the HTTP port but ftp is allowed

rogers internet is a B!@#$!!!!

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if you're hosting your website from home, be sure to have a dedicated machine for it, otherwise if you restart or shut down, the site will go down.

observent, your sig is far too large. you need to get it down to 50 kb max.

9. observent

observent Guest

My sig is fine ive been talking to a moderator through private messages and he didnt say anything ^.^! But for the hosting I have a server comp (rackmont) max out to the limit 8 gb ram ^.^ but my isp is a bugger witht the band width limit. So is 8 gb of ram and 2 proccesors good enough for a big site i got all the specs of the computer some were ill get em to ya

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

no, your sig is not fine. for anyone with a rank below mod, you are limited to 50 kb max. so change it. i'll let a mod know, too. that should help move things along. ^.^

and it really depends on what will be on the site. if it was a gaming site or anything near as big as AD, i'd say definitely not, as this forum has something like 9 times more processor power/computer resources.

however, i would think for a small site you'd be good.

*reported*

11. observent

observent Guest

happy now u lil snitch :p i deleted it actually and ^.^ if you wold like to share any information for a computer that can handle stuff similare to this that would be great im willing to spend no more than 75k :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

75k LOL wish i had that kind of cash.

basically, the best deal, from my understanding, is to have multiple machines. yeah, what you have sounds great, but there's no single machine on earth that can run a large website by itself. yeah, you need very large fast hard drives, fast processors that can handle a large-bandwidth load at once, and lots of fast ram, but you also need multiple CPUs, not only to disperse the load but also for redundancy's sake should something die on you.

Intel and HP both offer lines of server-designed machines, and many bare-bones and complete systems on sites such as newegg.com work wonders when set up right.

i can't give you many specifics, as i don't host my own websites or build servers, but i can tell you that from what i've seen one is not really enough.

the_fiend and janrocks are both members you should probably PM about this, as their knowledge is god-like in this area (as well as most others). be sure to do a thorough online search first before privately bothering members, though, or you'll be torn apart on here.

*edit*
    glimpsed a grammar error. probably missed some, though.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  13. observent

observent Guest

75k is nothing :p but ya i think im going to look around first because last time i was almost banned ^.^

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

how big of asite are you talking about running? and what kind of bandwidth load are you expecting? these are determining factors, not only in your initial setup but in all your server resources down the line.

15. whompus

whompus Active member

I optimized it for ya. Try this one if ya like. [​IMG]

16. observent

observent Guest

AH Buddy =D ty! um well a big site for gaming, money is not the issue have money comming out of my a** like there is no tommorow! But all i need is some info on the proper equipment and such to run a big web site.

17. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I read this one with interest. With that much money to blow why not go to college and learn some stuff (like perhaps reading site rules, some respect for people who are trying to be helpful in a nice way without setting the site wolves (moderators) on you, and a decent 100Mb/s twin cable connection rather than a weedy domestic wire with a wimpy "do what we say" ISP)
    Then get to some guides on setting up a web secure server.. LAMP hardened with bastille is a good start. Hardware isn't so important.. I run old alphas and p3's, but my load isn't great these days. I am not in a position to have money coming out of my a**..and I doubt you are either. People with earned money don't tend to shout it from the rooftops.

End of my input anyway.. I don't really like the attitude in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  18. observent

observent Guest

If i need to pay 1000$ a month for bandwidth i have no problems :)

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

under the high load of a large site, doesn't hardware become much more important, jan? or am i wrong. i thought lots of ram and multiple fast processor was required for anything near decent load time?

20. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Depends what you want to do with it, and how many incoming data requests you expect to serve. A small home site, a few pages and a blog, maybe some forums can be run on a p2 with 256 ram as long as you don't have too many hits at the same time, whereas a torrent tracker will need racks and racks of the fastest twins with as much ram as you can cram in them, and will still probably top out on a regular basis.
    My max simultaneous connections was 322,158 which took pretty much all my bandwidth, and the lag was about 9 seconds per page change per connection.. on 12 alpha600 twins with 2 gigs of ram each...
    That setup would be adequate for a reasonable mmorpg with up to 10,000 players without any noticeable lag at all.
    In that situation the deciding factor for performance would be how well synced the servers were, and how well they worked together.. Internal network lag would be critical especially between the nodes and the master..