1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running EVERYTHING from an external hard drive??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Gdot73, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

minimal programs at startup: your firewall, antivirus, whatever programs you use with active protection...you really don't need much more than that.

minimal programs running at any time. 50 processes is usually far more than absolutely necessary (just to give you an idea).

keep the drives cleaned up and defragged.

2. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

yh the only things other than anti virus on startup are my nokia phone browser and windows live

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

*shrugs* i can't explain the slowdown beyond what i've already said, then. a reformat would be extremely healthy, i bet. do a low-level format several times, just to clean out anything that might be trying to survive.

is the system running cool enough? what are the temps?

4. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

yes i formmated my pc the other month and now i cannot connect to my internet wired as i need it for my xbox 360 standbying. its quicker though but i downloaded limewire now just because its etting formatted again so i dont really care about viruses im just gunna get good stuff then formmat it

5. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

is a low level format a disk cleanup? (sorry for whats probably a stupid question) and im not sure what the temps are it makes plenty of noise though at times is there a way i can check the temps?

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

a low-level format would be, say, grabbing a copy of windows 98 and running fdisk 3 or 4 times before installing XP again...you can never remove anything 100%, but that's about the best chance of cleaning up resistant bugs without a new drive all-together.

you should be able to check your idle temp in the bios. there are free programs out there that can tell you your temp at load.

scott, the plural of "virus" is "virii," fyi. :)

7. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

ive never installed any windows before does it overwrite all data on the drive or just change the windows? and is it safe to do? thanks again

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it can do either. to do a full format, however, you need to start from scratch. store everything you want backed up on a separate drive and/or burn it to disc. then let windows do its thing. do full formats at minimum.

9. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

hmm ok i think ill to the low-level format how shall i install the win 98 when i get the disk ? do i do it as the PC is starting up or like just insert it when its running like this? and so i dont erase everything on accident, do i choose weather it formats it as its installing? thanks

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you will be erasing *everything* on the actual hard drive. so back up all your movies/music/school projects, etc, first. be sure to have the setup files and keys for all your programs on disc. have all your drivers either on disc or at a known website. make a list of all your custom windows settings/program settings.

then, boot from the windows 98 disc. you will use the fdisk command (format disc...google for more info). this is a mini-program on the windows disc. (you can also download similar things from bootdisc.com, etc). it will do a complete format of the disc. do it several times.

the, pop out the windows 98 disc and boot from your windows xp disc. this must be the full version, not the upgrade version of windows xp. it's it's only the upgrade, you must first install windows 98.

when booting from the windows xp disc, just let the program load and follow the menus. it shouldn't even take an hour.

then load your security programs first, followed by the rest of your programs, your data, your custom settings, connect to the internet for updates, inspect the system, and you're done.

11. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

will doing all that mean i have to install the internet again like set it up with the broardband disk? coz i had alotta trouble with that last year when i set it up

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you'll be doing *everything* again. it will be like when you first bought your computer, except moreso, as dell pre-installs some programs. these you will not have, if you are using a proper version of windows xp.

13. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

well my XP came with the PC ive never had to install it so im not sure if its the proper 1 its the home edition tho i now that

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

as long as it's not dell's <puke face> "restore disc set" </puke face> you will be fine.

15. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

ok then i might try getting more ram 1st and if that doesnt improve a great deal, ill try the win 98 way coz i got alotta programmes i need to make sure i still have the cd's for and thats gonna take a while

16. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

taking a while to put everything together is understandable, but it's very good maintenance and rather necessary to reload windows here and there. it's a buggy OS and dirt builds up that can't be cleaned any other way.

17. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

yh i forgot to mention loads a few programs have just out of nowhere stopped working such as winrar and tune up utilities for no reason that i can think of

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

that's just windows playing with itself.

reinstall saves. :)

19. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

lol well im gonna go on ebay and look for some DDR2 ram well after i find out how much my comp can handle if its not too expensive ill get some but if it costs a bomb ill jus get backing up my stuff gotta read the manual or go online 1st to see how much my comp can handle and if i need a certain type

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

moments like these bring a tear of joy to my eye *sniffle*

seriously, though, it's rather comforting to see someone on this site not begging for a spoonfed handout.