1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running Linux On A Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by xboxgama, May 22, 2007.

1. xboxgama

xboxgama Guest

I read an article, , and it says you need to do the same process you would do with a softmod. I was wondering if it was possible to just install linux to my xbox's hd by just having it plugged into my computer.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

3. Wylee

Wylee Guest

lol i was wondering if i could do this too..ive read that site almost everyword on it...and it seems to be reassuring me that i cannot put it on my 1.6 (i think) xbox. It also says i cannot mod my 1.6(i think) xbox. And i did, i softmodded it about last month. So can i install linux on it?

4. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

if you modded your xbox you can create a linux boot disc and put it in your xbox. than you just install and your done

5. xboxgama

xboxgama Guest

Really? I softmodded my xbox. Would that work because I have a extra linux boot cd on my desk.

6. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

it has to be a linux distro made for the xbox, not just a regular distro

7. Wylee

Wylee Guest

so do u know where to get an xbox 1? and what to do with it? thx

8. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

9. Wylee

Wylee Guest

i dont got n e cds/dvds to burn the iso to, is there a way i can ftp it?

10. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i just tried ubuntu on my xbox and it worked. if you can extracct the iso for the xubuntu cd then ftp to your e drive that might work. i saved the cd on my hard drive and it worked fine. so try it

11. Wylee

Wylee Guest

ok thx is it an app or is it permanent

12. Wylee

Wylee Guest

srry 4 duble post but i tried extracting the xubuntu iso and it didnt work...n e suggestions? mayb u cud put the files on ur computer and send them to me? cud that work?

13. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

just go to the link i posted ubove and download xubuntu. then use winrar to extract the iso and ftp to ur xbox. and it is like an app and it is not permenant. also u need a usb keyboard and usb mouse

14. Wylee

Wylee Guest

ok thx..if i only i read this a few hours ago..now i fucked up my box..wud u like to help me with that? i broke the ribbon cables so i replaced them frum another old pc and now i get the christmas lights

15. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

you didnt need to open the xbox to get linux runnung. all you needed to do was download and burn. how did you brek the rbbon? did you do anything besides break the cable?

16. xboxgama

xboxgama Guest

I heard that if you run x-dsl on your xbox you can use that to run windows 98 on your xbox or xp. But you would have to add ram if you were using xp.

17. Wylee

Wylee Guest

Lol i was juss fukin around with the box but i fixed it last night so its ok. I used 7-zip to look in the archive of the iso file and found the default.xbe and everything so i ftp those to the box and now when i run the xbe i see a black screen, tux, and words flying up the screen then it stops and says cannot create(numerous things) and stops...any suggestions?

18. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

im not sure what to do about that. you could try a differnet distro or try burningto a disc

19. Wylee

Wylee Guest

o0 aight...or cud it be my box? is it too new? like 1.6?

20. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

that could be a problem. look at the xubuntu webpage and see if there are any problems with 1.6