1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running out of programs to use!!

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by xAngel79x, Jan 13, 2004.

1. xAngel79x

xAngel79x Member

Hi,
    Ok..where to start..

Well, I've been using DVD Xcopy Xpress since I first got my DVD burner about 7 mths ago..and its been working great..then before Christmas I formatted the computer (which I've done plenty of times before) and when I went to burn again with XCopy it went through the process fine but when I put the DVD in the player it gave me the msg "No Disc". So I uninstalled and reinstalled..same thing. Then I tried 3 other versions of XCopy..same thing. So after 5 ruined dvds I decided to go elsewhere and tried the DVD Shrink/Nero 6 combo. The burn process went fine..was watching the movie..and halfway through the movie started freezing up..then skipping scenes..and now I have a total of 6 coasters!

I've been using Princo dvds and I have a Sony burner running on a AMD 1600 running XP. I loved using XCopy because its so simple, easy to have all menus and extras and only have to use the one program. But if I can get DVD Shrink/Nero to work better I wouldn't mind using that either.

If anyone has any suggestions or can tell me what I might be doing wrong...or suggestions on what to do with all my ruined dvds...running out of glasses to put on all my new coasters :D ...PLEASE HELP ME!!

Thanks for reading..bigger thanks for responding!
    Christa

2. vvha

vvha Member

I suggest switching media. Rather than Princos, which many people seem to have problems with, I think you should try Riteks. Ritek G04's have burned flawlessly for me with my NEC nd1300a drive. As far as the software, shrink/nero seems to be a good choice but many people also have success using dvd decrypter and dvd2one.

3. xAngel79x

xAngel79x Member

Well, I've got about 170 successful burns from the Princo's...the only ones I have lost was from this problem.

I have DVD Decrypter but it will only burn the 4.7 dvds...so do DVD2One compress it so it will fit for Decrypter?

So, you would use DVD2One...and then Decrypter? I have only used Decrypter afew times before when I've come across dvds small enough to work with it.

Christa

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The process is to use Decrypter first and then use DVD2One to compress the resulting files.

You can also use DVD Shrink to rip/compress the movie all at once. It's freeware and does an outstanding job.

5. xAngel79x

xAngel79x Member

I used DVD shrink and it the dvd burned and everything but halfway through it started skipping and freezing up..to the point of not being able to watch it at all.

So if you know how to solve that problem I'd be overjoyed!

Christa

P.S. I DEFINITLY want to have all menus and extras on the backups!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  6. brent1a

brent1a Member

I use AutoShrinkISO http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/autoshrinkiso/
    which, in turn, incorporates DVD Shrink 3.1
    and DVD Decrypter for burning purposes.
    AutoShrink is a controller, when u open AutoShrink it will use DVD Shrink to shrink/author the DVD then run it's own ISO creator in DOS, then it will use DVD Decryptor to burn the ISO to your DVD+/-r/w if you so chose. Best of all: IT'S ALL FREE!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Christa, I don't run XP so this info is from what I have read. XP is supposed to be missing the ASPI. It needs to be downloaded and installed. Your problem has to be something missing since the re-format. You state it all worked before that. Princo is a cheap media that causes problems but if they worked before the problem is somewhere else. Try to remember if you forgot to reinstall something you had on the system before the format. Also use a RW disc until the problem is resolved.
    Jerry

8. xAngel79x

xAngel79x Member

Brent...I just downloaded AutoShrinkISO and I'll give that a try when I get home from work. It seems like a pretty simple program...so all you have to run is AutoShrink is it? and that will do everything on its own? Or do you have to run AutoShrink and then run DVD Shrink after?

Jerry...I don't remember installing anything before but thats not saying I didn't. I'm a software junkie so after trying so many different programs who the hell knows what stuff has been installed in the background..lol. I'm going to check in on the missing ASPI though....well, I think I got them...just have to wait until I get home and install them on my desktop comp.

Indeed, we've found Princos to be perfect..every DVD we've burned and tested hasnt had any glitches at all =) As for using RWs..done that when using DVDShrink/Nero and it burned...but halfway through it started skipping scenes etc, so I'm wondering if it's just because its a RW and either the disc is crap or the player won't read RWs very good. So, now I'm just stuck in one spot until my order of dvds get here so I can try Shrink/Nero again.

Then I'll give Brents suggestion of AutoShrinkISO a go and if that don't work I'll give Decrypter/DVD2One a try. But hopefully these ASPI I just download will solve everything and then ALL programs would work! (am I wishing for too much?!? lol)

Thanks to everyone for replying,
    Christa

9. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

xAngel79x, Sometimes we can drive ourselves crazy trying to figure out the problem... I noticed someone suggested the disks... sometimes and it has happened to me a few times... it is a bunch of bad disks.. I was sure it was something I did... but wasn't..After trying many things and posting Helps different places..I tried another disk Ihad at home and it was fine...It wound up 50% of the disks in the batch I purchased were at fault... So these disks that you use and have always worked... still many be at fault... or atleast this batch.

10. brent1a

brent1a Member

If you so chose to use AutoShrinkISO it is pretty straightforward. it's just a GUI, it runs the other programs when necessary. You don't have to actually initiate each seperate program, thats what AutoShrink does. You simply specify in AutoShrink if you want just an ISO burn or a full burn to disc and hit start. And as the other post said, it could just be a bad batch of discs.

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I use dvdx platinum & packard bell -R & +R media. I have 99.99% hit rate

12. xAngel79x

xAngel79x Member

Nightlite, I got a new batch of DVDs today..so I'm gonna give that a try *crossing fingers*

Brent, with that AutoShrinkISO, in the instructions it states to put the movie in one drive and a blank in the burner...can you use the same drive? switch discs when needed?

pulsar, up until my last format I was having GREAT success with the Princos...received another spindle of 100 today...and 10 Riteks to give a try..

See how this goes....

13. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

Xangel79x, once you are sure your disks are ok, give dvdshrink another try....It is a wonderful and simple program to run... and I am so impressed they have made it a do ALL if you have nero installed. (do all I mean, strip, decrypt and then write it to a disk. I am imbarrassed to say how much I have spent on CR..p programs and wasted disks. I personally have not had any problems like others with any version of the program nor problems with dvd2one... The only problem I have had is when the original disk is scratched or dirty. Dvdshrink has been upgraded daily, so get the newest version.. I think as of today it is 3.1.3 Good luck

14. xAngel79x

xAngel79x Member

Well...I just burned a dvd..using DVDShrink/Nero and IT WORKED!!! Finally moving ahead again..lol

I'm going to try all the other options too just so I can see how they all work and everything.

And maybe it was the spindle too..maybe the bottom 5 or 6 were bad...guess out of 200 you can't really complain about 5 bad ones...who knows. All I know is that it's finally working again..so I'm happy!

And thanks to everyone who lended a hand! Hopefully I can repay ye with something later on!

Thanks,
    Christa

15. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

xAngel79x, did it work after installing the ASPI, or did just using different media do the trick? Just wondering for future reference. Glad you go it going either way.
    Jerry

16. xAngel79x

xAngel79x Member

well...I'm not really sure actually. I made the image last week...and then I ran out of dvds...so when I got them today I tried the burn but I was after already installing the ASPI drivers so I'm not sure. If I thought about it I would have tried it before installing the drivers just to see if it made a difference. I'm using the same brand of DVDs but using different programs.

Not sure if this helps you or not Jerry.

Christa

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

No big deal. Just have fun now that its working.
    Jerry

18. brent1a

brent1a Member

If you do get a chance try the AutoShrinkISO...it's so easy....it's a simple GUI and it utilises DVD Shrink to rip, then it's own automated iso creator, but uses DVD Decrypter to burn the image. I have a Plextor 708A on a 2 year old P-4 using Memorex DVD+r's. So far I've got 100% success playing them back on my Panasonic DVD-CP72S 5 Disc Changer hooked up to a Sony XBR 40" HDTV with a component cable hook-up.

19. xAngel79x

xAngel79x Member

Brent, I'm definitly going to give it a try! I was checking out the program and I'm hoping within the next day or two I can give it a try. If not it'll probably be within the week sometime. But once I try it I'll drop a line here to let you know what I think...or if I have any problems with it.

Thanks for your help,
    Christa

20. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

This is what happened to me, reinstalled windows, and dvd shrink wouldn't work anymore, any version, just wouldn't open. A couple of daze later a message pops up saying my hdd is developing inconsistencies, and sure enough c:\dvd programs has become corrupt.. I installed the program on the only faulty part of my hdd!!
    Reinstalled it on my music drive, and i'm off again.

Bad media is a pain, i bought spindles of 24 laser disks, first batch, no probs, the second batch, not one disk worked, the whole spindle!!
    Not that i'm complaining, pay for cheap media, it's usually what you get.

Bailey.