1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video to tv

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by gvp16, Oct 23, 2005.

1. gvp16

gvp16 Guest

Hi, i have an Acer Aspire 1690 laptop and just bought a an S-video to scart cable to connect it to my tv, how ever i cannot get a picture on the tv. ive tried fiddeling with the display properties but still cannot get it to work, and help would be great.

thanks

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Maybe your cable is damaged. Check that all the pins are in place. I heard a lot about that when I was trying to get my computer to display on my tv.

Have you adjusted you settings to activate the tv out put? What you do is right click on your desktop and select properties. The click on the settings tab. You should see a rectangle with a 1 and another that is smaller that has a 2 in it. Click on the 2 and put a check mark in the box that says extend my desktop on this monitor. Try booting with the s-video cable connected to the tv.

Your video card usually has an interface of its own. You may just need to tell it that your using s-video as your type of output.

If this didn't help please post more information about your setup and what you have tried.

3. gvp16

gvp16 Guest

thanks for the reply, ive messed about with a load of settings to get it to work, when i click the extend my desktop button and click apply the laptop screen flickers but still nothing on the tv, and the option remains unchecked.

this is a pic of the cable im using
    http://www.geocities.com/gvp_16/

thanks.

4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Have you started up you laptop with the tv connection all setup. If it working regardless of setting when you startup your computer you should see the Windows Loading up screen. The one that says Windows XP with the moving bar under it. (At least that is how it works for my computer)

Try that an tell me what happens.

5. dkbaked

dkbaked Guest

Are you using intel or ati for your graphics?

6. dkbaked

dkbaked Guest

ATI:
    1.Attach a TV or VCR to one of the TV OUT connectors (composite or s-video out) on the ATI card.
    2.Open Display Properties (from Control Panel)
    3.Select the Settings tab
    4.Click the Advanced button
    5.Select the Displays tab
    6.Click the green button beside the "TV" label
    7.Click the Apply button
    Do the same to re-apply your screen back to the laptop.

Intel:

Click Start >> Control Panel (or Settings >> Control Panel) >> Display >> Settings >> Advanced >> Intel® Extreme Graphics or Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver >> Graphics Properties, and then select TV as the Display Device and click OK.

Shut down the computer, attach the TV-out cable and power on the TV.
    Power on the computer, and then check the Intel Graphics Driver tab to see if the TV is detected.

Lower the desktop screen resolution to 1024x768 or below.

Here are the links to the webpages I have referenced for more visual descriptions.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894 *****(type "enable tv-out xp" in search box and select first link)*****
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-004653.htm
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915gm/sb/CS-020155.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2005
  7. gvp16

gvp16 Guest

using Intel graphics, tried following the instructions given, but my software options differ from you i need. ( see url)

http://www.geocities.com/gvp_16/pic.JPG

ive even tried installing the lastest driver but that was the same.

thanks

8. dkbaked

dkbaked Guest

Is it the same driver from this link?; http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...+Home+Edition〈=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go!

If the updated driver didn't work I would think that the s-video cable you have may be bad. Have you tried using a different cable?

Also you may find that unless your tv is an lcd or plasma, you may not be getting a good picture compared to what you are seeing from your laptop. I had my computer linked to my widescreen tv that was a traditional tube tv and I couldn't make out any text. Although games and movies were fair, they were not even close to what my monitor provided.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2005
  9. gvp16

gvp16 Guest

ye thats the one, im getting no picture at all. yet to try a different cable, will do tho.

thanks

10. gvp16

gvp16 Guest

got a new cable, and it works, however its in black and white, doesnt quite fit the screen and its not that sharp, i think its in ntsc, ive tried changing some of the color options but no luck, could this be due to the cable?

thanks

11. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

That usually has something to do with your output settings.
    For my video card it was set to automatically detect, but I had to switch it to the s-video out to see it in colour.

12. dkbaked

dkbaked Guest

Nothing to do with the cable. As nownthen stated, check and make sure that the s-video output is enabled. If it is then you will need to check this;
    1. Right-click on the desktop, and then choose Properties.
    2. Select Settings >> Advanced >> Intel® Extreme Graphics (or Intel® Graphics Technology) >> Graphics Properties.
    3. Choose Television.
    4. Choose the appropriate Video Standard. The standard used is typically NTSC-M (North America), PAL (most of Europe), SECAM, or a slight variation of one these. A list of the TV standards used in most countries is available on third-party websites.

As far as fitting the screen, you would need to lower your screen size settings. 800x600 is the average but change it up until you get the perfect fit for your tv size.

Once you get everything configured, im not sure if you are going to want sound through your tv as well. If you do all you need is an adapter from your sound card output to your tv audio input. I use a 3.5 stereo to rca adapter and it works perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2005
  13. gvp16

gvp16 Guest

thanks dkbaked, i tried that but its the same, as a test i hooked it up to my dvd player, that is also displayed in back and white. the dvd player features an option to change between ntsc and pal, i tried that and still black and white. the cable connects to the tv via a scart, if i had a cable with the 3 phono leads would it make any difference?

thanks

14. dkbaked

dkbaked Guest

What is the model of your tv?

I don't know if I already suggested this yet, but have you tried viewing only on your tv? Instead of viewing on both your laptop screen and your tv screen at the same time, configure it to view on your tv only.

15. gvp16

gvp16 Guest

ye, tried that as well, still black and white, prehaps ill try the cable with the 3 phono leads to see if that makes any difference.
    thanks for all the help anyway.

16. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

I just read your post, dkbaked. So I need an adapter that goes from my s-video output to my tvs audio in? I'm using an RF Modulator I just got today that has 4 inputs and 1 output, all have s-video (my tv doesn't have s-video in so I'm using either RCA or Coaxial).Also, do those have a specific name so I can search for one (like on Google)?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  17. dkbaked

dkbaked Guest

I haven't used a modulator before for pc to tv, but I would imagine you shouldn't have a problem as long as your video card picks up the signal. If it doesn't pickup the signal, grab an s-video to rca adapter and run it directly to your tv.

I would suggest making sure you get either mid to high grade cables to clear up your picture.

Here are some links to the adapters....
    s-video to rca(with audio/generic brand) - http://www.svideo.com/prosvideo12.html
    rca to 1/8" - http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=432

18. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

I had a look at the products, and seen a pic of the rca to 1/8, I didn't buy it, but I remembered I had gotten one so I could play my own music while playing PS2, so I'm using that for now. I plan on getting an S-Video to RCA adapter in a couple months though, the RF Mod works good for now. Thanks for the info!

19. boras69

boras69 Member

I have fujitsu m1450g computer with intel video card and I have exactly the same problem as gvp16. I tried to to everything you wrote but i still see tv in black and white. Pls. help me

20. dkbaked

dkbaked Guest

What configuration are you using to enable tv out? If it is through an scart you may be out of luck according to Fujitsus tech support. If it is through s-video you may have to keep adjusting the settings until it shows in color. It is important to know the exact settings for the tv you will be viewing it on(et. ntsc-m, pal b/g/m....)
    This is the link I was referencing for the scart config from Fujitsu..
    http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl...DROMDVD/Diagnostics/TV-OUT/TV-Output.htm#ATop