1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safedisc or securerom?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by sbyrn4, Sep 14, 2003.

1. sbyrn4

sbyrn4 Member

Hi, Iam trying to rip an audio disc to mp3 but i can't seem to manage to do it. It seems that the disc has some protection but I'm not sure which. I can copy the disc with clone cd to an image file and then burn it back to a cdr but the resulting disc is just the same as the original.

The disc's won't play in my pc or my stand alone DVD either. In fact the only thing that will play it is a 10 year old hi-fi :(

I'd just like to back the disc up and strip the audio to mp3. Any ideas would be great.

I've been trying this for three weeks!

I'm using a 48x24x48 liteon rewriter.

Also, i've tried extracting the audio files from the image with iso buster but there is no audio after extraction.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

You say the clonecd copy works on your hifi?
    Then there should be a way to extract audio from clonecd image. Have you tried CDMage? If this doesn't work, try this:

Install Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and copy lame.exe
    Set it up like described in this guide:
    http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm
    Additionally use these settings (only for copy protected CDs):
    EAC -> Drive Options -> Extraction Method -> Burst Mode
    EAC -> Drive Options -> Offset/Speed -> Speed Selection: Lowest possible (e.g. 4x); if no low speeds are accessible, use Nero DriveSpeed or CDBremse to set speed to ~4x

Now insert the CD. If all audio tracks show up correctly, highlight them and rip to mp3, otherwise go to
    Action -> TOC Alterations -> Detect TOC manually.
    Now all audio Tracks should be visible, highlight and rip them.

If this doesn't work, you could try other extraction programs, but probably the only thing that really helps is trying another drive.

3. sbyrn4

sbyrn4 Member

hmm,I'm getting an error on all three of my drives saying "couldn't detect a matching read command for this cd rom drive".
    I have a Liteon 48246s RW and an NEC ND-100A DVD+R and also a Liteon LTD 163D.

I'm seriosly considering a Plextor drive but I want to know if the drive is where my problem lies and don't want to spend £70.00 to have the same problem.

Thanks in advance :)

4. tigre

I guess this happens with all CDs you try ...

I never had this kind of problems (read command ...) but they seem quite common. Try copying wnaspi.dll (AHEAD ASPI from Nero)to EAC installation folder. You'll find more details in the sticky threads of digital-inn.de/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14 - official EAC forum.

5. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

well for starters when you copied the orginal disc itself with CloneCD or whatever program you happend to use, you also copied whatever protection scheme is in place.. CloneCD cant tell the difference, its just copying the disc itself period. ClonyXXL and Alcoholer can detect what type of protection is in place and allow you to setup CCD, alcohol 120% to go around the protection.. dunno if this werks on audio discs tho..

In order to make a copy protection free disc, you need to rip the tracks first .. follow tigre's method to rip the tracks.. or goto EAC's site itself

6. tigre

Wrong for protected audio CDs. Manipulated TOC can be copied, C2 errors not. If you don't believe it, try this: Copy a Cactus Data Shield protected CD with CloneCD (or whatever you use) and rip both, the original and the copy, with another drive to .wav. Use EAC's wave compare to compare both and you'll see that there are repeaded patterns of differences that are caused by the drives interpolating C2 errors in different ways.

To create unprotected copies (C2 errors will never be copied anyway, but TOC will be ...) using CloneCD or Alcohol, audio could be extracted from images created with CloneCD or Alcohol with CDMage to .wav, I think. Use the .wav files to create a new CD with e.g. Nero.

7. sbyrn4

sbyrn4 Member

Well I just went out and bought myself a 48x24x48 Plextor, and EAC has found a "Matching Read Command" for my drive!
    Whoopee I thought, so I extracted all the tracks to mp3 and to wave files but all i get now is a hiss when I play the files back :(

It seems just the same when i try to extract them from the iso too!
    Also, how do i get Alcohol to identify the protection, as i haven't used it before?
    Thanks in advance

8. tigre

Do you get hiss (- only hiss without any noticable music?) with all CDs you rip (also unprotected)? If yes checking EAC -> Drive Options -> Drive -> "Big Endian Byte order" could help. You might want to rip to .wav for testing so you can have a look at the files with a wave editor.

Have you tried playing back some CDs using this drive (e.g. with foobar2000?) - Works or not?

If this doesn't help you'll get help more likely at EAC forum: http://www.digital-inn.de/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

9. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

I have copied CDS protected discs and attempted to rip the tracks from the disc from another drive using EAC only to get to the same results.