1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safedisk 2.8 on MOH Spearhead

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by ApeThing, Mar 29, 2003.

1. ApeThing

ApeThing Member

Hi,

I downloaded:
    Medal_of_Honor_Spearhead_Expansion_Pack.FLT.ShareReactor.iso.exe

After taking off the .exe extension, apparently you just burn to CD & install but of course this is too simple & doesn't work, with a safedisk error at 47% of install.

So, I used CloneyXXL to find out it was Safedisk2.8
    I read the FAQ on this site, which said for Safedisk2.8 you have to use DiscJuggler.

So, I wrote the image to CD using Diskjugger, with all the settings as shown in the FAQ but it still doesn't work & I get the same error, in the same place.

I'm using a Plextor 40/12/40A. My system spec is shown below. would someone please tell me the steps for getting this to install.

Thanks,

Ape

Spec:
    Gigabyte GA-7DXR (F9 Bios)
    AMD 1.4 266 Thunderbird
    512 PC2100 DDr
    Seagate 60g Barracuda 4
    Creative GeForce 2 GTS (4.1.0.9 Nvidia Drivers)
    Creative Audigy DE
    Plextor 40x12x40 CDR
    Toshiba DVD/CD
    LS120 Drive
    Motorola 4100 Cable modem (V2.1 Drivers)
    Network card (disabled)
    Win XP Home

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The simplest thing I can suggest is to try installing it again but with Safedisc emulation ON (you can do this either Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools). Also, note that this is just a guess, you might need to enable 'Ignore Media' to bypass ATIP check (if any) or to install the game from the CD-ROM (NOT from the burner)....

You know, the .FLT. extansion shows that the expansion patch has clearly been modified/cracked and your game could not like it... it's very difficult to give hints on patched stuff...people who create and distribute it should also provide info on how to use it.

Please also note that if the game that was on your HD is a 'non-perfect' backup, the patch might upgrade the protection of the original game, spoiling the previous successful install.

About the use of DiskJuggler: if the image has NOT been created using Diskjuggler (that can read the pre-gap), using DJ to write it gives no added value, since no pre-gap info has been read and put in the image...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  3. ApeThing

ApeThing Member

Thanks for the informative post.

I've tried installing with Daemon Tolls safedisk emulation on. It didn't work.

You suggested trying installing while "ignoring media". Where is this setting? I've so far tried installing from image, CD writer & CD/DVD drive, non of them worked.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Ape

Last edited: Apr 1, 2003
  4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

As what I know Plextors (you can check below your model) http://elby.ch/english/products/clone_cd/writers/p.html
    are NOT able to correctly write regular bit patterns so maybe the burner cannot make good use of DJ.

I would stick to 'second choice', that is Alcohol 120% with Datatype=Safedisc 2.x as burning option.

Since you have a 1-sheep burner, the option 'Bypass EFM error' can be left CHECKED (it is the default option given by Safedisc2 datatype). Burn at 8x to be sure.

Full guide (w/picture) is located here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/28487

After burning the CD, be sure that you have enabled 'Ignore Media' in Alcohol emulation option (to prevent ATIP check) and close (not exit) Alcohol on the system tray.

After that, try to install the game and report back here the results.

If you cannot install the game at first try, re-open Alcohol and enable 'BAD sector emulation' (in Advanced Emulation options), too. Then close (NOT exit) Alcohol and try again to install.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2003
  5. ApeThing

ApeThing Member

Well, I tried everything you suggested. I still get the following error at 47% installation:

Component Transfer Error

Component: Safedisc Build
    File Group:
    File:
    Error Catastophic Failure

Maybe the image will never work. As you said before, whoever put the image together may have done anything to it.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Ape

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

The Alcohol 120% route should work as long as you use emulation (ignore media type, bad sector) checked.

Shoey

7. ApeThing

ApeThing Member

Hi,

Well I appreciate your help but it didn't work I'm affraid. I tried all the settings you suggested.

I'm just pissed off I bought an expensive CD writer and then find out I should have got a 2 sheep one.

thanks again,

Ape

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Ape,
    The other option you have here is to download IsoBuster and exract the MOH Spearhead expansion pack to a new folder then go to gamecopyworld and download a "no cd patch", then burn to a cd-r.

Shoey

9. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Ape,
    a 2-sheep is not always necessary; emulation should always be a possibility!
    Maybe your copy of Alcohol is an expired tiral copy? Or that version of Alcohol has been blacklisted?

10. ApeThing

ApeThing Member

Hi,

Well, I downloaded the trial verion of Alcohol 120%. It is version 1.4.2 (build 308).

I don't have the expansion pack on CD. I tried extracting the iso file to a folder using isobuster & i get an 'unable to read sector' half way through. I used Winiso before. Maybe the iso file is just no good. There is a crack with it but obviously that is no good until I install it.

I'm out of ideas. i really appreciate both of you helping me.

Ape

11. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

'Unable to read sector' is probably a feature of Safedisc. To ckeck this, just scan the image for errors with CDMage. It will report errors on the error log. Then 'locate' the errors.

If they occur on unused/empty' blocks then they are a protection feature. If they occur on files the image was a bad dump.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2003
  12. Nic20

Nic20 Guest

hi. I had the same problems as mentioned above. I downloaded many different iso, bin,...files at Kazaa but I didn`t manage to get them installed even with your hints about Discjuggler. Now I wonder where to download some working files. Where do you get your files from? Which filesharing programm can you recommend? Would be great to get some news. Thanks, Nici.

13. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Once again, do not advertise your downloads or sources of downloads.

14. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, sorry Nic20, none of your questions can be answered (and anyone posting answers will have the post removed and will be banned)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2003