1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safest remote desktop software currently?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by WierdName, Apr 8, 2007.

1. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

I have AVG control center with scanner, firewall, the whole lot. Now what is the safest remote desktop software I can get that probably wont get hacked when using AVG. Now I would like something free but I would be willing to look into something that you have to pay for if its really good. Heres my comp specs if they matter that much:

Winsucks Media Center (05 version)
    1.1GHz AMD Athlon
    640 RAM
    3??(56, I dont know)kb/s DSL
    Always online

Thanks.

2. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

you should look into logmein. just google it. I currently have it and it works very well. free too. It may lag a little, but other than that its a great download.

3. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Hmmm, I'll look into it. Thanks.

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I second that! I use it all the time from one end of the country to the other and has never failed me.

5. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Looks good. I could also use this for remotely fixed my grandparents computers too.

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'd advise you to get a VPN software, because it's a bit more secure than VNC based software.

The simplest solution to find some free software : VPN Wiki VNC Wiki

7. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Thanks for the comments. I just want something to control my desktop when that time comes that I forgot this file or I need to open this program to look something up. The advise is helpful.

EDIT- Oh, and thanks The Fiend. I always forget to lookup stuff on wikipedia. And I would like VNC because sometimes I would need to use a program instead of just browse the filesystem. I'll look into the program list they have.

EDIT- Media to pedia

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  8. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

logmein does the job well, must have.

9. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Does log me in free allow file transfer? Like to get a song off my computer? If not, anyone know of good secure VPN software to access my files? Thanks.

10. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

yea it allows you to.

11. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Oh, I guess I'll have to figure it out. I tried it and its a little laggy but it gets the job done. Thanks for the replies.

12. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

yea sure, no problem

13. abauer

abauer Guest

Depends on your needs. You may want to take a look at UlraVNC or RealVNC if you think VNC client is enough for you. Keep in mind that VNC clients are very limited in features. Also VNC clients can be unsecure. Especially when we are talking about basic versions. That's because of the protocol itself which is unsecure from its grounds. You can tunnel VNC connection through the SSH tunnel but it adds some complexity with IP address management (you need an IP address that would be accessible from the outside), your ISP doesn't close port 22 and has a port forwarding set up for this port in its firewall. Also you would need to setup SSH server (additional software that would organize the SSH) such as OpenSSH. This also adds its complexity to the tasks implementation. Because SSH comes from the UNIX and you will need to emulate the environment using CygWin an *NIX API software that provides function calls from *NIX systems. Strictly speaking, it's typically a fairly complex task to organize that all from start to the end at one sitting. Returning back to the security problems, UltraVNC supports encryption by using additional plug-in that implements Microsoft RC4 algorithm. The algo though rumors say has a flow. Now the features. Feature list is pretty small. But it's probably OK for the free software that does this job well. RealVNC is one of the similar but it is represented in 3 versions at once where the most powerful version adds some deployment tools and 2048-bit long key RSA encryption. But the last supported only starting from professional version. So the basic version as it seems form the comparison table here supports only the very basics needed just to provide the work through the VNC protocol.
    Making conclusions, if I were you, I would choose a more simple yet pretty reliable, working and secure solution which is allready built-in your Windows. I am talking about Remote Desktop Connection Client. The only thing I recommend you to do is upgrade the client version to the latest version RDC 6. The thing I like here within the client 6 is its ability to redirect plug and play devices. But unfortunately new features are available only if you are working with Windows 6 operating system such as Vista or Windows Longhorn Server. Here's how you can setup the connection on Windows XP. And still I would say it is limited to what it can do for you. The Remote Desktop concepts are to provide you with basic access to the remote system such as
    1. Using filesystem redirection and accessing your files
    2. Getting the documents you work with on the remote computer on the local computer. All the issues connected with configuring printer redirection and driver management problems aside that means you can write or open your document on the remote end and print it to your local machine
    3. Redirect LPT and COM ports (and other P'n'P in version 6 as mentioned above)
    4. Redirect audio
    5. Redirect the clipboard
    Other issues you should keep here in mind is the difference in how different operating systems handle the connection. For example Windows XP will drop the connection down if someone on the remote end will log off from the system whereas Windows Server 2003 will not drop the connection. That's because it just creates new RDP session on the remote side when you start working with remote computer. Windows XP on the other hand injects you right into the open session when you connect to the remote side. That's good when you are the single person who works on the remote computer and just wish to work with what you have opened there. But if it's your relative or colleague, I don't think he or she would like such interruption. In the same time, if your intention to connect to computer remotely was right to help the remote user with resolving the problems on your own it could result to the problems with controlling the session and hence the environment as you will be kicked off from the session if user will log himself off by mistake. So if you need to work with your network where you have several computers you will need something more serious. I believe Scriptlogic has something like that capable to remotely manage multiple desktops. They provide tools for corporate desktop management as far as I know and from what I heard in articles their products have remote client similar to logmein or something like that. Rumors were it's more powerful then others in how they implement remote work with Vista clients. And as always when we are talking about products targeted to corporate market, I believe they have proper encryption as because the security is the one of the 'first place' needs in the coporate environments.

14. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Holy crap! Did your research eh? Thanks, I'll check it out.

15. SpDice

SpDice Guest

I fully agree with you, abauer. That's exactly what I personally use for remote management. If I have no access to my Scriptlogic Desktop Authority setup which we use in the company for desktop management and user support, I use built-in Windows remote desktop connection client. But it's surely the rare case when I need it. The main reason is the fact that I can access desktop authority from any place. Ironically, I sometimes use it as the failure indicator. If I can't access desktop authority it means that a serious system failure has happened to the remote computer and it is unavailable. This thing listens for the incoming connections and that's very useful thing as I can just connect to the port it listens using the browser much like the web control in uTorrent. The thing I like here is that it doesn't interrupt user session (that's what you were talking about) and I can block the user from interfering with my work when I am fixing his PC controlling it from my home. Sometimes it saves so much time... He drops me a message asking for help, I am responding, connecting to him and we can work on resolving the problem with no fear to leak some interim stuff as it all goes though SHA-1 encrypted channel. By the way, about SSH: we use built-in SSH server in another office, because of the net organized the way that we can't path through the firewall directly.

As for your speed, WierdName. You can get what you have by testing the connection with the SpeedTest.NET service. You can even put your ribbon banner in your signature that will display your speed stats.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007