1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safest tv for kids

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by brenna25, Apr 18, 2010.

1. brenna25

brenna25 Member

I have 3 children with autism. so its sort of like having a bunch of wild, overgrown toddlers in the house. so with that in mind - which one would be the better tv for them?

note: falling is an issue. i'm not sure if I should just get a big older tv and put it on the floor in the corner, or a low tv stand, etc.

would love some advice here.

thanx.

2. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I wouldn't get a Plasma, especially since you can get image retention/image burn if your not careful.

If you're worried about it falling down or them getting hurt, I think best/safest thing would to get a flat panel LCD and bolt it to the wall with a wall mount. That way you don't have to worry about them breaking it or tipping it over.

What's your budget, and what size TV are you looking for?

3. brenna25

brenna25 Member

i'm looking for something like a 27 to 32 inch tv. Is there a way to also hook up a dvd player, away from the kids?

Just out of curiousity. thanx a bunch.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

ive seen in the pyschiatric wards they usually have a tv behind a big sheet of glass.i dont mean ordinary glass either its reinforced glass.just depends how much money you want to spend but a wall mounted tv is probably the safest.if you want to run a dvd player to your tv as long as you have access to the av inputs on the tv you should be able to no problem.

5. brenna25

brenna25 Member

thanx for your ideas. I'm gonna look into it. but I can't do the fiberglass things. way out of my league.

I think I like hooking the tv way up high.

again thanx all for the good ideas.

heres to safe kids!

6. jonscott

jonscott Guest

Studies have shown that unsupervised television viewing can have an adverse effect on some children. Without your guidance, the action kids witness on the small screen can translate into fear, desensitization to real-life violence and aggressive behavior, especially in young kids. To prevent the wrong message from penetrating impressionable minds, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) suggests the following:

1. Watch TV with your kids. Harness the power of television in a positive way. TV can be a valuable tool for learning and expanding one's awareness of the world. Some of these images and messages can be overwhelming for children to process, but your presence can provide reassurance and instant feedback when your child has questions or concerns.

2. Set limits on the amount of TV your child watches. Be firm. Limit children's TV viewing to an hour or two daily.

3. Hide the remote. Eliminate channel surfing, which encourages passive viewing.

4. Keep TV out of your youngster's bedroom. Children should watch their favorite shows in a central area of the home.

5. Whenever possible, videotape programs and watch them later. This allows you to preview the shows and decide if they are appropriate. It can also prevent you from being caught off guard and will give you ample time to prepare for a discussion of sensitive issues with your child.

6. Discourage repeated viewings of the same video. The graphic language, violence and sexual content of movies rated PG-13 and R can have a cumulative effect on a child if they're watched over and over again.

7. Make use of ratings systems to know whether or not a program or movie is appropriate for your child.

Read More http://parenting.ivillage.com/gs/gssafety/0,,q5vq,00.html#ixzz0lkl2ZUlU

7. brenna25

brenna25 Member

I appreciate the message - but my kids are still little. they like monsters ink, and monsters vs. aliens, and stuff like that. we don't have cable - we only watch movies.

but thats anyways.

8. brenna25

brenna25 Member

okay, I have another question now -

how do I mount the tv & and dvd player? is there a way to do that so the kids don't mess my dvd player?

can you play dvds on a blue ray player?

thanx.