1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sagem dbox2 flummoxed by ucode, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by sewalsh, May 11, 2007.

1. sewalsh

sewalsh Member

I was trying to fix a mate's sagem dbox as it was stuttering/freezing. I was flicking through all the different ucodes to see if it would resolve anything but the vortex one has screwed things up. The commando boot image loads up on the screen, then the little world icon twirls on the box's lcd and then the bloody thing just turns itself off. does anyone know how i might be able to fix this without getting a null modem cable? would the network boot so i might be able to restrict the os from getting access to that vortex ucode? i could replace it with a suitable one with the exact same file name. would that sort it out?

2. bigdunc

bigdunc Regular member

Easy option just reflash with ifa ,as this needs no ip to connect ,Can be done with crossover cable alone .Sounds like your image as gone corrupt re flash your back up (wot) or just a new image . Ifyou need a hand give us a shout...............Paul

3. sewalsh

sewalsh Member

cheers bigdunc but the box goes into standby after the spinning globe animation - i've tried ftp'ing into real quick (i have a time window of about 15 secs between the network starting and killing itself) and renamed the ucode to one that actually works - still no joy. is there anything i can change in the boot config? so that it doesn't boot up commando but i still have access to the system over the network?

4. bigdunc

bigdunc Regular member

If you attatch a null mowdem cable this will slow the boot process down . But ithink it would be a lot straight forward to just re flash it .......Paul

5. sewalsh

sewalsh Member

can i get a 9 pin to USB null modem cable? would that work with the IFA?

6. bigdunc

bigdunc Regular member

If i was you mate , just use your cross over cable with ifa select your image When you get the warning you are about to flash. THE BOX MUST BE OFF AT THIS STAGE press ok and switch the box on at the wall it will say flashing in the lcd within 5 to 10 secs iff not just switch off at the wall and back on again till it does i have sat with a box for an hour honest but it will go in the end ,Try adifferant image And a differant version of ifa both here pm me if you want them mate.............Paul

7. sewalsh

sewalsh Member

cheers bigdunc, i didn't know the box had to be turned on from the wall socket for the IFA hence my confusion as the network connection to it only comes alive towards the end of the commando bootup. i'll give that a shot - here's hoping!

8. sewalsh

sewalsh Member

doing the IFA with a cross over cable wasn't successful. couldn't even ping the box. i did manage to fix this by deleting files willy-nilly when the network came alive for about 10 secs, then on the next reboot the commando image wouldn't load up properly but neutrino would. i was able to transfer and flash an image then.

does anyone know the password for telnet/ftp access to commando 8?

9. bigdunc

bigdunc Regular member

Dont know about Tell net mate
    But that box will deffo flash with ifa and a crossover cable
    Try a differant version of ifa wot one are you useing now Pm
    your e mail addy and ile send you the other one And an up to date image 2x is it you need good luck ........Paul

10. sewalsh

sewalsh Member

cheers bigdunc (again :) )

managed to guess user/pass.

i'm still left with my original problem of stuttering/freezing/chirping sound on a sagem box. i've exhausted ucode changes, different images. does anyone know how i might disconnect the internal modem? I've heard this as a remedy but i see that the contacts are soldered directly onto the pcb - is there a jumper cable i can yoink out that'll disconnect the modem from talking with the box?

also, any other remedies for resolving these freezing problem would be great also!

11. bigdunc

bigdunc Regular member

Try the Digi booster from argos with varible ajustment great piece of kit for boxes with dodgy signals ..If it dont work just take it back and get a 14 day refund................Paul

12. sewalsh

sewalsh Member

nah, signal isn't a problem. i have a nokia box running fine with the same cable input.

13. bigdunc

bigdunc Regular member

May be so mate thats not to say the tuner in the Nokia is a lot better than the tuner in the sagem .Question of elimination .....Paul