1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sampling (ripping) ONLY parts of songs

Discussion in 'Audio' started by cocolite, Mar 29, 2003.

1. cocolite

cocolite Member

I use Powerpoint and want to insert snippets of songs (downloading them to zip disc and to my hard drive) into my presentations. My current software (CarryOn Music 2.0 & Easy CD Creator 5 Basic) is very basic and will only allow me to copy entire songs and CDs; I also checked out an advanced version of CD Creator to no avail. I don't own a laptop, so I need to keep file-size to a minimum (to fit on a zip disc).

Thus far, I've discovered only two software packages that claim to suit my needs:

1) ACXtractor 2.93 ($25.99): MP3.com provides a favorable but brief review. According to the review, you can "select only parts of a CD track. You can adjust the start and end mark with a precision of ± 1 frame." Sounds great, but unfortunately, this review is limited to "Company hype" (MP3's words) about the company's own product.

2) Blaze Audio's RipEditBurn 2.0 ($39.95): According to the product description, you can "crop out unwanted segments." Snippet sampling? I don't like to assume.

I'm still reading/searching and also plan to contact both companies for more info., but if anyone is familiar with the software that I've listed above, or know of other programs/solutions, please let me know. I'll appreciate it immensely. Thanx.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

With ExactAudioCopy's Copy Range you can extract parts of songs directly from CD, with its integrated wave editor you can cut songs you have already as .wav files.

For cutting you can also use Audacity or Nero Wave Editor if you already have Nero.

If the songs are already in mp3 format use mp3directcut.

The software I'm talking about is free and most of it available at this site's software section.