1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 204b

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Tenbrock, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Tenbrock

Tenbrock Member

Hey guys i gotta Samsung 204b 20.1" LCD monitor and ive bumped the resolution up to 1600x1200, which is its max native resolution. Anyways the monitor shows grainy fuzzy spots on some pixels when i do this. And i cannot figure out why. At 1280x1024 it has been perfect for the ~year ive been using it.

I've gotta 8800gts with the latest drivers, so if anyone can tell me what the deal is id appreciate it.

thanks

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Do you use a particularly long monitor cable?
    See if you can use a different cable.

3. Tenbrock

Tenbrock Member

im just using the stock dvi cable that the monitor came with, ive tried both video outs on my video card and still fuzzy/grainy pixels. I've noticed that they don't show up right away but after a few minutes of use especially if its demanding (video game/graphics)

Thanks for any info/tips.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah now that means it's artifacting, which is caused by an overheating or faulty graphics card.

5. Tenbrock

Tenbrock Member

My gfx card stays under 60C at full load, and takes hours of abuse with games running at max spec with 1280x1024 and shows no signs of falter. Is it even possible to only show particles in 1600x1200 and not in 1280x1024 due to overheating?

I've thought all the same things you've mentioned and thats why im here asking now. :-/

thanks again for continued help.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, well the core's not overheating, but what about the memory? That doesn't have a temperature sensor.
    I'd try a different cable first, then start considering replacing the card.

7. Tenbrock

Tenbrock Member

Well i dug out my old X800 card popped it in and ive been running fine at 1600x1200 for a while now, so i guess its my 8800 causing the problems. Any ideas on what i could try or what might specifically be the problem so i can try and fix it.

thanks

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you've updated the drivers, then it's probably a fault with the card, perhaps in one of the pixel pipelines. Get it replaced under warranty.

9. Tenbrock

Tenbrock Member

I have a thermal take pure power series 480W PSU ive been told that it may be caused by the PSu not providing enough power?

any thoughts?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends what else is in the system, that is a possibility with the old Purepower units (they weren't that good).