1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung DLP issues

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by smj1, Oct 14, 2009.

1. smj1

smj1 Guest

I bought a 46" Samsung DLP just over two (2) years ago. One (1) month after warrenty expired i lost the first projection lamp.
    Short of 90 days later i lost the second lamp. Now i have white and black spots all over the screen (a $900.00) repair. After contacting Samsung and being treated as if i were the lowest form of life i wonder if anyone knows where you can buy parts cheeper than samsung
    wants for them, and just as importantly where can i get on a list of the many civil lawsuits against Samsung so should Samsung be forced to stnd behind their faulty products i can possibly attain some recovery.

2. barricade

barricade Guest

Sounds like the optical engine. Is that what the repair shop diagnosed it as? I work in the service dept. for Fry's and we do a little work with TVs. What is the exact model # to your TV? They list a generic 46" Samsung DLP , optical engine part #BP96-00822G for 445.50 I can give you this company's info ( the parts company) and a price when I get the model # for your TV

3. smj1

smj1 Guest

model # for my 46" samsung DLP is HLS4676SX1XAA. I only spoke to the repair shop in my area that is samsung authorized and he had me press the menu button on the remote and bring up the on screen menu.
    He had me do this to see if the (at the time) white pixal would go away.It did not and his comment was "thats not good". His explaination was two (2) possible problems. When menu on screen and white pixal
    dissapear a $300 problem. White pixals do not dissapear and some type of module is going out a $900 problem. I should take it in and identify the exact part before I order. I will do this asap. I have gone from one white pixal, to three white, to fifteen to fifty, to hundreds along with a screen full of black ones. Black are smaller but are there. Thanks for any help you can give.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

It's time to move on. DLP's have proven to be very unreliable as you have seen. I wouldn't even spend $300, much less $900 to fix it.

5. smj1

smj1 Guest

Correction on model # it is HLS4676SX/XAA

6. barricade

barricade Guest

The only issue with DLPs are with the Lamps that need to be replaced every 18 months or so. In my area atleast, DLP TVs seem to be the most reliable by far.
    Now smj1, I pulled up your model# and they list the optical engine @ 535.50 , part# 4719-001981 . Based off what you told me, it certainly sounds like either the engine or the color wheel. If its the color wheel, this company lists it at 64.53 part # BP64-00592A . www.mpdparts.com is the company's website. The servicer will most likely order the parts from the manufacturer which will be costly

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

In Consumers Reports 4 year reliability survey 19% of Samsung DLP's reported 'Repairs and serious problems' (the other brands were worse with RCA at 34%). Compare that to Panasonic plasmas at 2% and Sony LCD's at 3%. Even if 'it's only a bulb', that means downtime, money and hassle.