1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung DLP sometimes won't turn on

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mxxmikexx, Sep 10, 2008.

1. mxxmikexx

mxxmikexx Member

I have a Samsung DLP that is about 2.5 yrs old (production date of Jan 2006)model HLR5067. The Set has worked fine up until about 4 months ago. Sometimes picture will not turn on, the lamp is lit, but there is no picture. I have noticed 2 times that this has happened is when the power was shut off. 1 time somebody turned off the wall switch that controlled the power outlet to the tv, and the other day I shut off the circuit breaker in the house to change some light fixtures and now i cant get my TV to turn on again. sometimes if you just sit there and constantly turn the set on it will eventually work, other times you have to let it sit for a day and it will start working. This time it has been about 16 hours and i still cant get a picture. Does anyone know what the possible cause of this could be? Bulb, Color wheel, power supply? like i said tho, the bulb is lit but there is no picture. Just for the record this has happened out of the blue as well not just when the power has been shut of to to the TV. From what i have been reading on the Net, it sounds like Samsung has alot of problems with their DLP's and it sounds like their customer support is lacking. seems like there are alot of dissatisfied Samsung customers out there.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Slow startup from the PSU.. not something you can fix without detailed knowledge of how switch mode power supplies work.. seek professional TV repair services who should with a bit of luck be able to sort it out. (my guess is a capacitor in the startup circuit or a resistor which feeds a reduced voltage to an "always on" sensor relay for the standby/remote circuits.. damn.. I hated working on SMPS)

You could try this little hack tho... unplug the set and stick a spoon or something metal across the plug pins.. then use the power switch a couple of times to fully discharge the mains input side of things. Sometimes just leaving them unplugged for a while clears the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  3. mxxmikexx

mxxmikexx Member

Is there anyway i can obtain schematics for the power supply? My Father is an Electrical engineer so im sure its nothing beyond his experience. I just have a hard time trusting a TV repair shop. They could easily "fib" and sell me a couple hundred dollar part for something that could of been fixed for pennies on the dollar.

update: when i turn the tv on the lamp light starts flashing, now once in awhile the standby indicator will flash ONE time with it. after looking at the owners manual it says if the lamp and standby indicator flash that means the lamp cover on the rear of the set is not shut. I took off the door and pulled out the lamp cover door switch and ohmed it out to make sure it works, and it does. So does that one flash im getting with the lamp indicator and standby indicator mean anything?

4. Dragula96

Dragula96 Guest

Very true, watch out for those guys.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

The flash probably means the set is trying to power then shutting down because of a detected fault.

Any more than that.. your guess is as good as mine.. I haven't got a clue.. Samsung don't distribute service details except to their registered service agents.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008