1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Drive

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by JayGo, Jul 15, 2003.

1. JayGo

JayGo Member

How do you know if your xbox has samsung drive or some other drive? And what difference does it make?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2003
  2. Matador

Matador Regular member

Look for some pics online...or just open the xbox...Thompson will read all original disc and some cd-r if you know how to burn them in a special way.Samsung is more compatible with cd-r media and so is the philips.

3. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

The Samsung drive has 2 round holes either side of the main cut out in the tray. The Philips cut out is shaped like a light bulb (without the 2 holes either side) and the Thomson cutout is shaped like a candle (without the 2 holes either side).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2003
  4. pong3

pong3 Guest

Can you install any drive into a version 1.0 xbox? I am looking for a new dvd drive, one that can read cd-rw and dvd-rw easliy. Any input on what to buy would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2003
  5. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

You can but it's not just as easy as plugging it in. xbox-scene.com will have all the info. Did the laser tweak not work for you pong ?

6. bigdan

bigdan Member

I switched my Thompson with a Samsung and the only thing i had to do was plug them in. I even left the power cable attached to each drive when i switched them. Both boxes still work perfectly.

7. pong3

pong3 Guest

Bigdan, how well does the new samsung you have read dvd-rw and cd-rw? Modmaster, i tried to tweak it, but i have to resolder the red and blue wires because they fell out...i think im just going to sell the thompson and buy a better one.