1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung DVD drives

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by davidt800, Mar 28, 2005.

1. davidt800

davidt800 Member

Hi
    I currently have a phillips drive in my xbox, and we all know that samsung are the best so does anybody know of a good site where i can buy one? They must be able to ship to the United Kingdom (England) as that is where i live.
    Many thanks

2. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

I would check ebay, I would think that most would ship to the UK?

3. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I have a Samsung drive but your Phillips drive is not too shabby..the thing I don't like though is that some of them don't read cd-r other then that they are great drives from what i've heard and read. You must be getting those dreaded dirty disk errors hugh...anyways, check ebay and compare prices because i've seen some as high as 100 bucks and as low as 50 including shipping.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  4. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

I personally think that the philips drives are the worst for Xbox when it comes to reading backup dvd's and cd's. I do agree that the Thomson does not play cd-r's very well, but they still have a higher compatibility than the Philips. My Philips can't play any back up games worth a crap, and neither and that goes the same for most of my friends. Here is my list from best to worst drives...

1)Samsung
    2)Hitachi
    3)Thomson
    4)Philips

Just my opinion, I'm not trying to start a fight.

5. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

That is taken directly from Xecuter himself. In my opinion, there is no one better drive than another. I have 2 Samsung drives in both my Xboxes and none of them can read CD-R. Don't know about the new Hitachi drive but I doubt it's any better since MicroSoft is trying to go the cheapest way they can, like any other companies out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2005
  6. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

That is real strange your Samsung cannot read cd-r's. All of my friends have Samsung drives and they can read all types of media flawlessly.

7. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

What is the brand of CD-R are your friends using? I have only tried using Memorex CD-R so far.

8. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Not 100% sure what they have tried in the past, but I know they now use Maxell and Sony. I remember one of my friends having troubles booting cd-r's on his samsung, but then he started burning at 1x and this solved his problem.

9. punqewe

punqewe Active member

sammy'a are the only ones that will play cd-r's,that is unless you got the pot tweek to work on a philips. Other than that,the hitachi is about the same quality as the thompson...maybe just a bit lower. And for the life of me,you are the only one I know of that has a sammy that won't play cd-r's.

10. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Exactly what I was thinking punqewe...

11. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Yeah I thought that was weird too, but I'll give it another try with different brands CD-R this time and see, so far the Memorex 52X I have didn't work.

12. djsttutta

djsttutta Member

Can you use any type of DVD-ROM Drive in the XBOX ? Can you also buy any of these drives at stores (ICrcuit city, Best Buy, computer retailers?)

13. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

No. There are only two other Samsung models that I know of that you can modify to fit in the Xbox. The SD-616T and the SD-616F. However I don't recommend it unless you know what you're doing since the way these drives are powered is different than the factory drive.

14. d1rekt

d1rekt Guest

I researched my Samsung drive. It can ONLY read DVD-R or DVD+R. Hehe.

15. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

No DVD-RW or CD-R/CD-RW? My Samsung can read all those except for CD-R. I still haven't tried any other brands though but Memorex CD-R.

16. Squiggles

Squiggles Member

The newer Samsung's that have a 2004 date are having more trouble reading CD-R's and other Media than the older Samsung's from 2002-2003.

17. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Ah that clears it all up. Both my Samsung are from the 2004 date, no wonder.

18. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Squiggles, that is a sweet name dude! I had a buddy back in highschool who we called squiggles, he was the shit. haha, props for your name!

19. Squiggles

Squiggles Member

Thanks PimpDawg. I don't know where or how I got the name it just came about.

Yeah the Newer Samsungs you'll notice are 605A and not 605B like the older ones. They must of changed something about them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  20. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Or taken something out to reduce the cost? Hmmm...