1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LN-T4671F LCD - baseball and golf problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sans, Apr 14, 2008.

1. sans

sans Regular member

The small white balls traveling at high speed cause a strange distortion on my relatively new lcd. There is sort of a ghosting on the screen, for example during this weekend's Masters

Some hard struck balls traveling at high speed would cause this ghosting, a similar image in front of AND behind the moving ball.

This also happens in baseball games, usually only when a ball is thrown across the diamond, from 3rd base to first base, etc

During football season I noticed it but it was not nearly as annoying. On long bomb passes, the spinning of the ball would cause a serious blur that made the football seem as if its ends were moving up and down as the ball went through the air.

These are all HD broadcasts, I believe this probably also occurs in SD broadcasts.

I have tried the built in signal processing that the lcd has, Auto Motion processing I believe it is called, Digital noise reduction, everything, and nothing seems to work.

thanks for your input all!

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I don't believe there is anything you can do to fix this. You should have gotten an LCD with a quicker response time.

Take it back and wait to get a Mitsubishi LaserVue - that's where it's at!

3. sans

sans Regular member

not really an option, i got it from amazon.

this lcd touts 120hz if that's the response time you mean

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

That's the refresh rate of the monitor. Although it does have some role in eliminating motion blur, the response time is more critical here. Seems like a tv with stats like that would have a good response time. Response time is measured in milliseconds. It's the speed at which the LCD's pixels change from one color to the next and then back again. So a tv with an 8ms response time would be good, but a tv with a 4ms response time would be even better.

It's definitely one of the cons of LCD technology. That's why I like DLP, you don't have that problem. And it's the next best thing to plasma as far as color reproduction goes. Well actually, it was, now with these new Mitsubishi's I was telling you about, they apparently blow plasma technology out of the water.

Ok, LOL! I don't need to know the model number. DURRR, it was in the title.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  5. varnull

varnull Guest

In front and behind of the small fast moving ball? Are you sure this isn't some ghosting/swr type effect from cables? A low pixel refresh rate surely would just leave a trace not a pre-image.

Some cable networks are really bad for ghosting from badly matched cable terminations. On direct reception you can get the same sometimes just because of the physical length of a wire.. cutting an inch or so off helping immensely.
    I son't think a manufacturer would release a product with such a visible flaw. This tv may be faulty (ringing in the video output stages) or your cables may be the culprit. It can also happen because your input signal is too high.. causing overload of the first stages of the receiver,cable box or tuner/decoder/descrambler.. anything in your signal path TBH..

Easy to trace on site.. impossible to diagnose at a distance ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yea, as varnull said, some cables can leave artifacts. What kind of connection do you have?

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Always knew that telecommunications course I took in the 80's would come in useful.

:: edited above post and forgot a bit :: Try an attenuator in your signal feed and see if it improves things.

8. sans

sans Regular member

i have directv hd reciever, hdmi inputs to the tv, the cable i use is either an acoustic research hdmi cable or a philips hdmi cable i picked up from walmart

thx for the help guys

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You really didn't get any help. I doubt it's the cables either. If you can set your DirecTV receiver put it on 720p and see if it helps. LCD's are just not up to fast motion.

10. sans

sans Regular member

yeah, i guess im being pretty picky because it isnt often this causes a problem for me. tho i do watch lots of baseball now.

ONE OTHER THING, that i just noticed again tonight.

Some black & white video turns to shades of green in certain spots.

example: a casablanca dvd from a few years back.
    a tv broadcast in SD that i watched tonight on directv.

anyone know what this could be? thanks

11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I think the problem is just that it's an LCD! No matter what you do, you are probably going to see motion blur. Did changing the resolution on the receiver help?? I got 100 bucks on this that it still looks the same.

Mystic, are you upset because LaserVue looks better then the Pioneer Kuro? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  12. varnull

varnull Guest

Now then.. there is a clue here.

This is interesting as it shows that the white balance tracking is off. A common fault back in the days of colour crt tv with cda and tube cathode/grid ry/by/y mixing.

So.. that tells me that the green drive is set for a lower cutoff than the other colours, and isn't tracking with the other outputs properly. This may well be a manufacturing fault, or may be clearable with some fine twiddling of the black level-white level, contrast and colour balance (hue if fitted.. saturation if not)

It is always possible that the problem is at the broadcast end.. Quite a lot of companies are flogging equipment which quite frankly isn't up to the job. The pre-image still shows that there are multiple signal paths of differing lengths somewhere in the chain from source to screen. It's the only way that particular symptom can happen...

Not bad considering all we had to go on at first was "small fast objects leaving traces front and back"

13. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

So what's the word sans? Still seeing the same thing?

14. sans

sans Regular member

yeah, i still have the problem, but then again i havent changed anything. other than new cables i'm not sure where to begin. i like what varnull had to say but i have no idea how to implement it, exactly how i should go about teaking hue/saturation etc

i have a couple commercial dvds on home theater setup, havent used them yet, maybe i should give them a try

15. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

You ever trying calibrating your LCD with one of those videos from Digital Video Essentials? I'm not sure if that will help with motion blur, but it will definitely help you tweak the settings.

http://www.videoessentials.com/

16. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Hook it up to antenna as a test.

17. sans

sans Regular member

not really practical - live in an area with only 1 local station (cbs), i have an amplified hd compatible antenna than only picks up a grainy picture

i have that DVE dvd youre speaking of goodswipe i will set that up soon, probably tonight

18. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Sans, i have the LN-T4071 myself and what your experiencing is called TBE or Triple Ball effect according to thousands of complaints on AVS forum, Samsung has a firmware upgrade available that should solve the TBE problem and the stuttering problem with Auto Motion Plus.. The latest firmware is 2004 and you can upgrade the firmware with a usb thumbdrive, the Samsung LN-T4071 along with the Sony XBR4 are the best lcds out right now in my opinion, the picture on the 4071 is absolutely stunning. Auto Motion Plus should only be turned on with fast moving events such as sports, the lcd will always operate at 120hz even with AMP turned off!! This is what people fail to understand. The AMP feature makes movies look like a damn documentary, i don't like it so i leave it off unless as i mentioned earlier there's a sporting event on tv..

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  19. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I just realized you have the 4671, the latest firmware is 1013 i believe. Both models are plagued with this triple ball effect problem, the firmware should fix this. Let us know how things go.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  20. sans

sans Regular member

this is quite a relief! i am glad that you found my thread and that you replied.

i dont have a usb thumb drive. so i took my ipod nano, plugged it into my pc, moved the firmware update onto it, and plugged it into the tv. went thru all the upgrade steps, all appeared normal, then i got an error message, something like "error during transfer of data" or something.

tv worked fine after that for a half hour or so, but the version number did not update, so i knew the update did not work.

as soon as i turned the tv off, however, it has not worked since. when i tried to turn it on again, i only get a black screen. absolutely zero output on the screen, no sound, nothing. the manual has no info on reseting to factory defaults in a situation like this, as far as i can tell. :(