1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LN-T4671F LCD - baseball and golf problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sans, Apr 14, 2008.

1. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Ohh no, i hate to hear the bad news.. What i did was copy and pasted the firmware in my thumbdrive then i left clicked on my mouse to unzip the folders containing the firmware upgrade to my usb stick. The instructions on how to upgrade the firmware are on the Samsung website, i've never tried to update with an ipod so i'm not sure what could have gone wrong there, it's unfortunate that your getting a black picture. Have you contacted Samsung to see what could have gone wrong, seem like a bad flash to me..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Ughhh, yea! Damn man, that sucks. Anytime you flash FW on a computer, controller card, DVD player, be very careful. I don't think I would of even had the huevos to even attempt to flash a 2500 dollar tv. Have you tried calling Samsung to figure out whether or not you bricked your tv? Did you download the right FW?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  3. sans

sans Regular member

oh crap, you know what? i accidentally used the flashware for my microwave instead.

i guess i did not realize i could completely destroy my television by trying to update the flash, since the notion is not even flirted with on the samsung support site, in their help file for this flashware update, or in this thread

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Well this this being a FW release on the web, you would think it would be safe. I test new FW releases on storage controllers and server BIOS'. There's always a chance that something in the code could screw up the whole operation. Even flashing the FW incorrectly could hose the whole process. My next step would be to talk with Samsung. Maybe you can send the tv in and have them revert back to the original FW.

5. sans

sans Regular member

already called in, setting up a service call with a repair center a couple hours from here, hopefully that's all it takes

6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yes, hopefully they can just re-flash your tv. Good luck my friend.

7. sans

sans Regular member

so i called the service center, which is a few hours away (travel expenses not covered by warranty of course)

i talked to the tech guy at the local service center, told him how i tried to do the update, but i didnt have a usb thumb drive so copied the flashware files to the root drive my ipod instead and plugged that into the usb port. i gave him all the numbers off the side of the tv, serial etc

he calls me back about a half hour later, says that he talked to samsung's tech department, and how i fried my mainboard because i used my ipod and my tv is now out of warranty because this is considered "customer abuse"

pretty strange that doing this would fry my mainboard, considering my tv worked fine for about an hour after i tried to do this update, and the problem never started until after i powered the tv off and turned it back on.

also, using an ipod is customer abuse? plugging the most common portable storage device on the planet into your lcd can cause the mainboard to fry? seems like if this were the case they would paste warnings EVERYWHERE "do not use an ipod with this tv will void warranty"

anyway, im a little sick to my stomach right now, this has been a fun thread though

8. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

WOW! Man I don't know what else to say. I've never had to deal with something of this magnitude. Sounds like you got the shitty end of the deal for sure. I guess I would complain and complain and then complain more, until someone maybe does something. Where did you get the tv from again? Maybe talk to them and see if there is any kind of deal they can work out.

From what I've been reading, Samsung will email you the right FW. Where did you get this file from?

9. sans

sans Regular member

got it from amazon in mid january, so its been just over 3 months since i got the tv.

if i have to i will contact them, if i do end up getting the shaft here.

10. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Says on their website..

That sucks!

11. sans

sans Regular member

yeah this is a pretty standard clause, but it doesnt make any sense. my tv worked fine for at least an hour after i tried to update. they are just trying to screw me, i am fairly certain. they found an angle and they are trying to shoot it.

so my course of action now is to deny ever telling the service guy i used my ipod, i misspoke obviously... who knows how much a new mainboard for that tv is, sheesh

12. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

13. sans

sans Regular member

yes that is where i got the update, i extracted the .exe to the 2 folders, copied them to the root of my ipod, the tv found the files, initiated the update, then i got an error message "error during data transmission" or something like that. version # did not update so i knew it did not work. i tried it again a couple more times and this time after the 30 seconds or so when it updates, i did not get a confirmation or error or anything. but meanwhile the tv was still working fine the whole time, and continued to aftewards.

until i turned it off, then turned it back on

luckily i did not tell samsung what i used to flash it, i only told the local guy, so it will probably be my word against his

14. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Hmm, sounds like you did everything right to me. Only thing that worries me is the fact that you used your ipod to do it. Did you use a shuffle or something?

**update**

Ok, you used your Nano. So you just hooked in the usb cord to the Nano and ran that into the tv? Yea, that must have been the problem. Make sure you tell them the errors you received while flashing.

15. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If it's that new they will take care of it.

16. sans

sans Regular member

hope youre right, i *think* youre right too. i just hope that this service center isnt a pain in my balls. they are the only one anywhere near me that can fix the tv. and i hope it is done relatively soon, directv hd service i am paying for, mlb package, and nba playoffs in full swing!

17. MysticE

MysticE Active member

On a final note buy a USB thumb drive. They are so cheap these days anyway.:)

18. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

19. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

Ipod's charge the battery thru usb. so it pulls more power than the tv port can handle. on my lcd it say on a sticker to not use any thing but a thumb drive. that may be were you fried your main-board.

on some rare case like mine, i had to have the company unlock the firmware before i could use it.

also what Sattalite receiver version do you have, DircTV got really cheap about a year ago by combining the color information leaving the box to decode the color spectrum. this didn't fly to well as the receiver used a cheap conexant to do an all in one decoder method.

that may be were your problem lies as well.