1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung or Toshiba?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by eckwitte, Nov 17, 2007.

1. eckwitte

eckwitte Member

here are the specs that I want

40-42 inch lcd
    720p
    tier 1

I will be using it for

Gaming (xbox360) ---Alot
    connecting my pc (watching media from my computer) ---Sometimes
    watching tv ---Alot
    movies ---not very often

Here are the models I am looking at

Samsung LNT4042 40" LCD $1199 <--Bestbuy
    Toshiba 42HL57 42" LCD $1199 <--Futureshop

what one is better for my needs? is there anything bad about either one?

thanks in advance.

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Both are good sets. For gaming, I'd choose whichever had the fastest response time. Both apparently have 8ms response times which isn't the fastest available. For example the JVC LT37XM48 37 inch has a 5ms response time. I'd get a 1080p set and not a 720p set though. Google "LCD TVs for gaming" for some more info. Also check out the AVS forums at avsforum.com.

3. eckwitte

eckwitte Member

Well I went in and bought a different model finaly. I bought the LG 42LC7D, at first i hadent looked at it because it was out of my price range at $1599 but after arriving at the store it was $1299, i eventually bought it for $1199 because it was on sale a week earlier for that price. I am very happy with it its got a beautiful piano black finish. it has the XD engine and a 5ms response time which is good for me because of gaming. Appearantly people were having problems with the menu popping up and channels changing by themselves. ill keep you all posted if it happens to me.