1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Rant

Discussion in 'Samsung discussion' started by jmorris23, Oct 24, 2008.

1. jmorris23

jmorris23 Member

my mom just got a samsung rant and i was wondering was the easiest way to put custom ringtones on it?

2. Gray626

Gray626 Regular member

I am trying to figure it out but have had no luck if any one else has some idea's i'm up to try them. I have been able to get into the phone directories using bitpim but some of the folders where these custom ringtones would go are locked. My next course is to try video ringtones.

3. ebeauch

ebeauch Member

If you are familiar with making custom video ringtones, you can definitely use them on the Rant, either by transferring the ringtones using the usb cable that comes with the phone or the microSD card. It took me a while to figure out how, but it can be done.
    You just have to MAKE SURE of a few things:
    (1) the video is saved in the DCIM\100SSMED folder
    (2) the video is smaller than 512 MB
    (3) the video file name is in the same format as videos recorded directly from the phone (ex. My Rant saves videos in the following format: SSPX0001.3g2)
    For some reason, when I transferred a custom video ringtone that I had for my LG Rumor to the Rant, it would not recognize the file unless I changed the name. I'll give an example. My original custom video ringtone file was named one chord song ringtone. I had to change the file name to sspx0005 in order for it to work. Then I thought I would try just taking the spaces out of the file name, so that I could keep somewhat of the original name (ex. 1chordsong). That worked also.
    Hope this is clearer than mud, and that it helps at least one person, 'cause I know I was beginning to question whether or not I would be able to use custom ringtones w/o having to pay for Sprint ringtones.

Here are a couple of links for how to make a custom video ringtone, if you've never done it before:

http://forums.buzzaboutwireless.com/baw/board/message?board.id=TipsandTricks&message.id=294

-and/or-

http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-ringtones-without-a-data-plan/

4. ebeauch

ebeauch Member

**CORRECTION**

Sorry...Just realized that condition (2) of my method is incorrect. The video file must be smaller than 512 KB, rather than MB.
    OOPS!!

5. Gray626

Gray626 Regular member

I hope that helped the other guy out. That is how I figured out how to put video ringtones on the rumor before I exchanged it for the rant. I am glad that it works the same for the rant. Hopefully someone will figure out how to unlock the folders in order to put ringtones on the rant. I will keep trying to figure it out just for the fun of it in my spare time. Kudos on the video ringtone thing.

6. ebeauch

ebeauch Member

Please keep us updated, Gray626. I've never unlocked folders on a phone before, so I'd be interested in the method if it works for the Rant.
    Thanks!