1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SH-182M

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Cubioh, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Cubioh

Cubioh Member

Sorry to be a bother with this, but there's relatively nill support on Samsung's site, and LightScribe.com is having a "page not found" error after filling out the support form there.

The main problem is that neither the LSS program or SureThing Labeler recognize the drive as lightscribe. I've also tried the diagnostics tool that LightScribe.com provides, which also states there's no lightscribe drvie. I haven't yet burned any dvds with it, but it does recognize blank media to write on (and even lists the lightscribe program to burn labels as an option to use on the autoplay menu), so I'm assuming that the drive is operational.

I'm using Vista, I have updated the drive's firmware to S05, and have the latest LSS version straight from LightScribe.com. One odd thing is that in the device's information, the driver is listed as from Microsoft (I'd of thought it would be Samsung). But I can't correct this on my own of course because Samsung doesn't provide drivers (though it might be of no consequence anyway, I'm trying to provide as much information as I can). Oh, also, the drive is an OEM and came with no manual or software -- although it was SUPPOSED to, going by the order specs on Newegg.com. I was planning on letting that slide if I could get things working on my own, which they don't seem to be.

Any help is graciously accepted. Thank you in advance!

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I have a lightscribe able burner and it is not recognized anywhere as it being so. But trust me your computer knows its there and works providing you have software to utulize it. Lightscribe will only work on lightscribe DVD/R media. You cant just put any DVD/R upside down and expect it to print. Look for the Lightscribe symbol when buying new DVDs.

To be honest with you this technoligy is neat but way to slow. will take about 20 min to get your print and it is not anywhere near as brilliant as a stomp sticker. It is a start at something exciting to come but for now I will keep my sharpies handy.

-Del

3. Cubioh

Cubioh Member

Thank you for the reply,
    As it turns out, I installed the drive + programs on my brother's PC (which has XP, whereas mine has Vista) and there weren't any problems at all. I can't really say that I understand it, but that works for me.

ha, yea I know it's slow, but as you said, it's pretty neat. I still have my Sharpie too actually! I wanted to use it on making things for family members (like family picture slideshow dvds), so that means I won't be using it too often anyway. I'd gotten the drive and some lightscribe compatible dvds as a combo, so it wasn't very expensive at all. Anyway, thanks again! =)