1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung TV defect

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by janlafata, Nov 28, 2009.

1. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I bought a Samsung 40 inch LCD TV about two weeks ago and love it. Today though, since I was still within the 30 day take back period I was all set to upscale to the 46 inch because they had a great buy on them.

Then by accident I read a review on a known defect in the power supply's of Samsung LCD TV's. The article said that they start taking longer and longer to turn on and eventually fail completely.

I did a Google search on this and found a good deal of complaints. Now I'm wondering if I should avoid Samsung all together and switch to another brand, while I've got time.

Any comments?

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

the "fault" you refer to is a capacitor in the psu startup circuit (c1102.. big number when there are probably less than 40 discrete components in the while thing... probably means cap on psu board (11) component, cap (02))..

Not really something to be that worried about.. they take a few years to show up leaky (if at all), and are 100µF 25v.
    What it actually does? .. it's in the time delay circuit to minimise startup surge which can damage other psu components (so is a safety component and must be replaced with an exact equivalent)

only a couple of specific models have this problem (offhand I can't remember which..), it's down to a bad batch of components and should be gone from the new stock ones by now. Samsung are aware of it (I found out about it from the manufacturers service bullitins) and it is covered under the 1 year warranty.

Don't believe all you read on the internet.. LOTS of reports can mean 5 people posting 200 times each on different sites. I haven't had one brought to me for repair.

3. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

Thanks for bring me up to date...Ya that's enough enough to scare a person right out of their upconvert! But I will rest easier now.