1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung YH-J70J Issues

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by alecks, Apr 15, 2007.

1. alecks

alecks Member

Hey. Since it's 1 am, it's Monday now. But yesterday (Sunday) was my birthday. I got a Samsung YH-J70J MP3 Player, but it's already messed up. (I have a feeling it's my PC, even when I had an iPod I had to use EphPod 'cause iTunes wouldn't work with my PC.) When I plug it in, it works fine. But when I open WIndows Media Player to sync songs, it litterally syncs less than half of them, then freezes. When I try to access the media from My Computer, it freezes, and remains frozen until disconnection. I just got it less than 5 hours ago, and It's already messing up on me. I'm horribly frustrated, could anyone please help?

Thank you.

2. sharktoot

sharktoot Member

My unit is doing the same thing, did you evey get a fix for your problems?

Help ... Lee

3. Satanguy

Satanguy Member

Did you try upgrading the firmware ?

download the firmware 20061011072557890_YH-J70J_Firmware_1.083.zip from samsung website , unzip and copy j70j_32.bin into the data folder of your samsung player. Disconect from computer and turn power on your player. You should see a updateing firmware screen. I never use sync music so I cannot say for sure it will work, but its worth a shot.

4. redteam35

redteam35 Member

I bought my unit about a year ago, had it replaced by Samsung (they sent me a new unit), and they sent me a new one with the same problem. Let me describe it in more detail and what I've tried...hopefully someone has a fix b/c this is a beautiful little device that I can't get to work.

I can sync only a very small portion of files through Windows Media Player, I'm talking maybe 100 out of thousands...these I synced after a reformat OF MY COMPUTER and on the first time I plugged the YH-J70J into the machine - since then I haven't been able to successfully sync anything. I have tried it on 3 different computers and on multiple USB ports to no avail. I have uninstalled the drivers and re-installed fresh copies from Samsung's website - to no avail. I've also tried using Windows' drivers - didn't work

In the small gap of time where it was possible for me to sync files, I also updated the firmware to version 1.083 which I believe is the latest. (This was so long ago I can't remember how I got it to work).

When I plug the unit in, Windows recognizes it and displays it as a Portable Media Player under My Computer. When I try to browse the contents of the HDD in the player, it searches endlessly and ultimately has to be unplugged or both my unit and the computer lock up. Therefore it is impossible to see any files or folders on the device, or update the firmware as Satanguy suggested to my fellow frustrated Samsung owners.

Let me say that today I used the USB host function of the player to copy a song from a USB stick that I had and it worked - however, you can only copy one file at a time, and it gets to be a bit tedious when you're trying to copy 15GB worth of music...

5. woodman7

woodman7 Member

I have experienced the same problem and found a workaround though it's a bit ugly.

On my system, when I want to sync up my Samsung YH-J70J, I open up Windows Media Player, then I open the task manager. If I go into Task Manager and End Task on "explorer" my player will sync up completely without crashing. It's a bit ugly to go this route but it has worked every time and I've been doing this for about 6 months now.

Like I said, not the best solution, but it works for me.

6. mgruchy

mgruchy Member

I'm having a heck of a time with this unit too...my problem is that after a year, I finally tried to use the video function, so I converted a few vids, and tried to export them using samsung multimedia. Problem is, i get a warning window pop up telling me my device isnt connected. I can go into My Computer and see the device listed there, I can browse all the files, drop mp3s on it, etc., but Multimedia Studio is saying it cant export because the device isnt connected.

ok, then I try to walkaround this problem, by dropping the video in my video folder through My Computer. The file is in the folder on the unit, but when I go to watch it, the unit tells me "No File." I have the same problem with pictures.

Can someone please help me! Thanks in advance!

7. Kimmacus

Kimmacus Member

I too have been having trouble with my Samsung YH-J70J MP3 Player. When I tried connecting the player to my PC and I tried using the Samsung Multimedia Studio software to access my music and videos, the program would freeze and I'd get a "Not Responding" message. When I tried using Windows Explorer and double clicked on the Samsung Player, my computer would go into a perpetual cycle of searching for the files and nothing would happen. I was getting so frustrated with all the time I was wasting on trying to get this device to work.

The good news is that I found a way to connect to the device! The trick is, it doesn't have to be mounted in MTP mode like the documentation seems to indicate. You can mount it as a normal USB drive, and then treat it like you would any other removable device.

Here's how you mount your Samsung YH-J70J as a USB device:

1. Put the HOLD button into the ON position.

2. Press and hold the record button for a few seconds while you simultaneously plug in the USB cable.

3. After a few seconds, you should see a screen on your player that says "USB Connecting" (instead of what you would normally see which is "MTP connecting").

4. When your player says "USB Connected", you can go to "My Computer" and you should see your player listed as a "Removable disk" which you can then double click and get access to all your existing files.

I haven't yet tried copying files from my computer to the player, but I am hoping that I'll be able to use the Samsung Multimedia Studio software to convert my movie files to the proprietary .svi file type and then simply drag and drop the .svi file into the Videos folder of the device.

At least now I can see the files on my player and delete them, move them, copy them..... When i get a chance, I'll try getting music and video files on to my player.

If anyone else tries this, please let me know if it works. I would love to know how it goes.

8. rollie_82

rollie_82 Member

Hey Everyone;

I am also having some major problems with my yh-j70j\xac samsung player.
    The issue I am having is when I first boot the player it gets to the samsung screen and says "system loading" and 5 seconds into loading it crashes and restarts itself and this continues until i hot reset to turn it off.
    Although I am able to connect with the usb and access the player and folders.
    Has anyone else have this issue? I have only had the player for about 4 months now and I finally filled it with music. Samsung customer service has been no help at all.
    Thank you, I appreciate any help you can give.

9. gruchy

gruchy Guest

This unit is RUBBISH. I purchased a new computer for xmas that came pre-loaded with Vista, and there is no software that enables the yhj70j to be compatible w/ vista. I called the company, and emailed the office of the president to express my discontent, and they called me within 2 days to apologize, but they had no plans of releasing Vista compatible sw for the yhj70j. Is there ANY way at all I can get this to run on Vista, or am I stuck w/ an expensive paperweight?

10. Kimmacus

Kimmacus Member

That's interesting as I use Vista and I was able to successfully install and use the software (Multimedia Studio I believe it is called) with my unit. I have also been able to connect the unit to my Vista computer to see all the content I have stored on it. Admittedly, it has been a while since I have used it.....

Is it the Multimedia Studio software you are referring to? Have you tried running the installer on your Vista machine?

11. gruchy

gruchy Guest

multimedia studio runs fine on vista, it does not recorgnize my player. the problem is that my computer no longer recognizes it either...it loads and loads and loads, then eventually locks up.

12. Kimmacus

Kimmacus Member

Did you try the method of accessing your device that I described in an earlier post (in this same thread)? It was the only thing that worked for me. Otherwise I was not able to add new media or access any of the media I had stored.

13. gruchy

gruchy Guest

kimmacus, I have not tried your method yet, but i certainly will, and I will post a reply to let you know if it works or not....are you running Vista oo?

14. gruchy

gruchy Guest

sorry, kimmacus, I just read your jan 18 post, and you are using vista. i gotta learn to read these things more carefully. I'll give your method a go and let you know if it works...are you still actively using your samsung?

15. Kimmacus

Kimmacus Member

I do use it a fair amount, but I haven't added any new media to it for a while. I may be a bit rusty with the technique so I think even I would have to re-read my instructions on how to make it work with my computer!

I'd be curious to find out if it works for you.

16. crymonkey

crymonkey Member

I just got this garbage recently. I can not connect to any computer I have from windows XP, to Windows 2003. So if you can connect it to your pc, can you list your pc configuration, such as OS, Service pack etc.?

Thanks,

17. denick

denick Member

18. sharktoot

sharktoot Member

After months and months of trial and error I found that my harddrive had a bad sector that was unrecoverable. The bad sector was in the OS area of the HDD as a result I had no chance of ever getting the unit to work again. So I connected the HDD to a desktop computer and uploaded my files and them promptly delivered the unit to the recycle center. It was a good unit up until it failed. I switched to a H4 unit that has been working flawlessly. So I am leaving this forum.