1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sansa e250 Video Conversion

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by rclns67, Jun 12, 2006.

1. rclns67

rclns67 Member

Hey guys, I've just got a quick question about some conversion issues. I recently bought a Sandisk Sansa (e250) mp3 player. It is able to hold full-length movies in MJPEG B format. It can also hold pictures. The pictures generally fill the whole color screen, but to view the video, you must turn the player sideways. I would prefer to view video in the same way as my photos, but the converting software (Sansa Media Converter)automatically formats the video to widescreen, and thus you must turn it sideways. It doesn't matter what format (.avi, .mpeg, ect.) I convert from. I just want to use the full screen as opposed to a small chunk of the screen to watch my video, which is what I get when I am forced to turn the screen sideways. Does anyone know of a program that will give me video editing capabilities when converting to MJPEG B? I know it's a long shot, but any help would be appreciated. Anyone who has the player knows what I mean. Thanks!

2. rclns67

rclns67 Member

I got the problem figured out. Thanks anyways. For anyone who is curious, whether or not you have to turn the player sideways depends on the size of the video. If it's widescreen, you'll probably have to watch it like that. I just resized w/ Vdub and all was good.

3. sracer

sracer Member

Have you used VDub to actually encode videos for the e250 or just used VDub to rotate the video? If you use VDub, what parameters are you using?

I've patched the Sansa Media Converter control file to decrease the bitrate used to roughly half, but I'm looking for a way to have more control over the encoding process.

Thanks in advance.

4. rclns67

rclns67 Member

I know what you mean with having more control over the Sansa Media Converter. Some editing features would have been nice! I've been experimenting with some music videos lately and realized I like watching the video in a widescreen format, even if I have to tilt the player sideways. I resized the video so it can play upright, but it's not as good as I imagined. Anyhow, for the music videos: I put them in Vdub and used the null transform filter to crop any letterboxing. This allowed the video to take up all of the screen as opposed to a small portion. Then I resized the video to a height of 300, and a width of 380. This gave me a picture that filled most of the screen while watching video with the player tilted sideways. Finally, I used the Divx compression codec and saved the file as an AVI. From there, I put it in the Sansa Media Converter and transfered it. Now, if you want to watch video while holding the player upright, I'd suggest increasing the height to around 400, give or take (just mess with it). You also may have to decrease the width. Sorry if all of this is unnecessary info to you. To answer your intial question, I have not used Vdub alone to convert video to the format (MJPEG-B) Sansa uses. I just used it to edit and resize the video, then sent it to the Sansa Converter. In the beginning, I also thought rotating was the way to make the video play upright, but it didn't work. Like I said, just increase the height, using the resize filter, to around 400 or more. As for saving space, I just converted into AVI using the Divx compression codec in Vdub b/f sending it to the Sansa Converter. Anyhow, what exactly did you do to to patch the control file? That sounds awesome! Well, if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to attempt to help. But hope I helped a little and happy encoding!

Ryan

5. sracer

sracer Member

Thanks for the reply, Ryan.
    I'm going to analyze the video created by Sansa Media Converter (SMC) and attempt to recreate the parameters in VDub.

As for how I patched the control file...
    SMC appears to be a "hardwired" version of Arcsoft's media converter. In C:/Program Files/SanDisk/Sansa Media Converter/Profiles directory are some .apr files. SMC uses the SanDisk_E200_MSC.apr profile for converting video. Loading it in notepad, it appears to be a plain text file. But loading it in my programmer's editor, it looks like a binary file. Anyways, if you make a backup copy of that .apr file, and edit it, look for the [ MOV ] line. Under that, you should see a DefaultVideoBitrate=. Set that value to 0 and you will find that SMC now creates smaller files. (approx. 1/2 of the default out-of-the-box)... but still far larger than I care for.

6. rclns67

rclns67 Member

I changed the value to 0, but I didn't notice a significant cut in the amount of space my video took up. Perhaps I changed the wrong value. Right now, however, space isn't my primary concern. Every time I convert a regular 1 hour 30 minute video the Sansa Converter splits it up into 10 parts. Normally I wouldn't mind, but after about every 10 minutes one section stops and brings you back to the menu screen. If it would simply go from one video to the next without stopping, like a playlist, it would be fine. This option isn't available as far as I know. Have you come across this problem?

Ryan

7. sracer

sracer Member

The SplitTime=600 tells the converter to split the file after 600 seconds (10 minutes). You can modify that value for larger files.
    SplitTime=3600 would make the split at every hour of video.

Here's what my SanDisk_E200_MSC.apr file looks like:
    (I've bolded the areas you need to change)
    ----------------------------------
    [DEVICE]
    HID=VID_0781&PID_7421
    PhotoFolder=Photo
    AudioFolder=Audio
    VideoFolder=Video
    DeviceIcon=hcata_e200
    EnableAlbum=1
    DefaultAlbum=My Album

[TRANSCODE]
    FilenameLength=1000
    FilenameExclude=
    FilenameRenameCap=
    UniqueFilename=0
    PromptCompatible=0
    CheckPhotoCompatible=1
    CheckAudioCompatible=1
    CheckVideoCompatible=1
    UseArcAviWriter=0
    ArcAviWriterMode=2
    ArcAviWriterModeDesc=AVI_TIME(0),AVI_SAMPLE(1),AVI_CONTROL(2)
    SplitTime=[bold]600[/bold]

[OUTPUT_FORMAT]
    PhotoFmts=Jpeg File(JPG),Bitmap File(BMP)
    DefPhotoFmt=JPG
    PhotoSaveMode=BMP(2),JPG(4)
    AudioFmts=Mp3 File(MP3)
    DefAudioFmt=MP3
    VideoFmts=Motion JPEG B(MOV)
    DefVideoFmt=MOV
    VideoSaveMode=AVI(256),MPG(257),WMV(258),MOV(259),ASF(261)

[OPTIMIZE]
    PhotoFmt=BMP
    PhotoSize=176x220
    PhotoQuality=100
    AudioFmt=
    AudioBits=
    AudioSmpBits=
    AudioChnl=
    VideoFmt=MOV
    Resolution=160x208
    VideoEncoder=MotionJPEGB Codec
    AudioEncoder=16-bit big endian
    VideoBitrate=[bold]0[/bold]
    AudioBitrate=
    AudioSmplrate=11025
    VideoFps=15.00
    RotateDegree=270

[BMP]
    FileExtName=BMP
    SaveMode=2
    Resolutions=320x240,640x480,720x480,800x600,1024x768
    DefResolution=640x480

[MOV]
    FileExtName=MOV
    SaveMode=259
    VideoEncodes=MotionJPEGB Codec
    DefaultVideoEncode=MotionJPEGB Codec
    AudioEncodes=UnCompressed,16-bit big endian,16-bit little endian,32-bit floating point,64-bit floating point,24-bit integer,32-bit integer,MACE 3:1,MACE 6:1,IMA 4:1,.Law 2:1,aLaw 2:1
    DefaultAudioEncoder=24-bit integer
    Fps=15.00,20.00,24.00,25.00,29.97
    DefaultFps=15.00
    AudioBitrate=
    DefaultAudioBitrate=
    VideoBitrate=Lossless Quality(100),Max Quality(100),High Quality(75),Normal Quality(50),Low Quality(25),Min Quality(0)
    DefaultVideoBitrate=[bold]0[/bold]
    AudioSmplrate=
    DefaultAudioSmplrate=44100
    Resolutions=208x160
    DefaultResolution=208x160
    -------------------------

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  8. rclns67

rclns67 Member

Still working on the split time. I changed the value to 7200 (2 hours), but after it has transferred to the player, I'm asked to put it in the converter. I'm going to mess with it some more.

Ryan

9. Kukakev

Kukakev Guest

Do any of u know how to put movies like example dvd that you own on your player to watch i just bought and i dont know any way to put movies on can u hel out ?

10. rclns67

rclns67 Member

Sure there. Well, I use DVD Decrypter or DVD-Shrink to copy my purchased DVD onto my computer's hard drive. Then I send the files to Virtual Dub for resizing. Finally I put them in the Sansa Media Converter and it transfers the files to the player. Hope this helps!

Ryan

11. Kukakev

Kukakev Guest

Thanks but do u know of any free version ?

12. rclns67

rclns67 Member

Well, Sansa Media Converter comes with the player, and DVD-Decrypter and DVD-Shrink are free last time I checked, as well as Virtual Dub.

13. sracer

sracer Member

Absolutely correct. And depending upon the format of the DVD, you can simply drop the .vob files directly onto Sansa Media Encoder (after copying them to your harddrive with DVD Decrypter)

14. Kukakev

Kukakev Guest

Sweet do u happen to know where i may down load this?

15. Kukakev

Kukakev Guest

So the link u gave is this decrypter a trial one or is it the real thing?

16. Vidiot250

Vidiot250 Member

Very interesting stuff for a guy that's got tons of DVD's (purchased) and wants to play them on his PVP (e250) and not to distribute. I have run into several problems which you all discuss. There are claims from Amazon that these devices can play Divx...which is not true. But reading over your messages it seems to be true. Ugh...

I'll try to mull this over and do sump'n. Meanwhile, if you feel kind enough to help me out, I am open for your hints or tools I need to buy or find. I cannot find DVD Decrypter anywhere, I guess with all cool things..people abuse them. I state again, this is for my own consumption of my previously paid for DVD's (200 +). Thanks for any help.

17. Kukakev

Kukakev Guest

Lol Yea thanks i downloaded it haha im not good at computers but thanks a million.

18. Kukakev

Kukakev Guest

Ok i have 1 more question after you get all of the files from the disk is their a way to convert them into 1 file so i can play it on windows media player

Thanks

19. solidgold

solidgold Member

Hi, I recently bought the c150 from one of my friends. All I got was the USB and actual player, so I don't have the Media Converter and therefore can't put photos onto it, which basically just neuters it. I can't find anywhere to download it from, not even SanDisk's site. Can somebody put the Converter on RapidShare or one of those hosting sites?- I'd rather not have to go through email just because my computer is old and probably a virus away from dying.

20. rclns67

rclns67 Member

I bundled it in an rar file, but rapid share wouldn't let me upload it.
    I can probably do it another way, just let me know.

Ryan