1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo DRW 500 recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rbrown, May 9, 2004.

1. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

I would please like too know if I record on dvd r+ disk Can I extract the video too the hard disk and edit it in Windvd creator also Has anyone had the problem with the recorder whistling after excessive use.
    I would like too apologize too people on this thread if I was rude I am sorry.

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  2. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Wolf,there is a program called ISO Buster which may do the trick for you,i've used it before to extract video from unplayable discs.
    You can download a trial version at
    http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

good luck

3. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

So I defenitly need this program I cant just drag it off the dvd I made with the recorder.

4. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

It depends what you are using to play the disc.
    If you want you could play it in a seperate DVD player,feed it into your PC's video capture device(if you have one) and record it onto the hard drive that way,then edit using some editing software.

If you are using the PC's DVD drive,then i am not sure if you can record from it,so you could use that program i suggested to extract the video from it.

One thing i am curious about though,why dont you just record the program onto the hard drive in the first place instead of putting it onto a DVD,then putting it onto the hard drive?

5. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

because I have a dvd recorder stand alone right now and it sucks because the comercials plus, When I get a dvd recorder for my computer I dont want any problems I want too know all I need too before I edit the disk and put my own menus and titles and take out the comertials.

Plus I cant hook up the standalone too my pc no jacks one the pc for it and the standalone.

6. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

OK,then you'll probably need to extract the video files from the disc while it is in the PC's drive.Give that program a try and see if you can do it.
    Other program you may be able to use is DVD Decrypter

Once you get the video extracted from the disc,you can edit it.
    TMPGenc Plus is a good program for snipping out portions that you dont want,and you can re-encode it and burn it back to disc.

7. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

TMPGenc Plus I have used this before, it is good.

But are these vob files just like you would see on a store bought dvd because I dont want too ruin the quility of the recording.

Would I be able too open the disk up in and editing program straight from the disk and then rerecord the shows after editing thx for all the advice.

8. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

I think you should be able to achieve that with ISO Buster,although i am not sure if it will work with Pre-recorded DVD's,ie,one you bought in a shop.
    I dont have a copy of it at the moment,it was on my old hard drive,but you can get the instructions from the help file here:
    http://www.isobuster.com/isobuster/help/

You basically put the disc in,and open the ISObuster program,then navigate to the drive where the disc is,select the track,and right click.Highlight "extract" option and you get options of how you want to extract it.

9. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

actually I was referring too the dvds I burned from my stand alone dvd burner are they the same format VOB files or is there some difference of what they are from a store bought dvd other then there not right protected.

10. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Yeah i was thinking of the copy protection,but if it is home made you should be ok.

11. DUSKKRAZE

DUSKKRAZE Member

That did the trick.Thanks CTVG.

12. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Anytime !

13. DUSKKRAZE

DUSKKRAZE Member

I bought a 50pack of Ritek RiData4X speed from Meritline.com.
    The discs kept skipping during playback and I'm in the
    process of returning them. I've only bought one other
    type of dvd+rw dics (COMPUSA 2.4X)and they've worked
    great. The price was also good(25pack/$14.99). Has
    anybody tested other speeds(4X,8X etc.)on this recorder?

14. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

I have used Office Depot brand DVD+R with no problem. They're pretty cheap especially if you wait for a sale (I got 2 -100 spindles @ buy one and get one free).

15. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Hmm,( have no problems with Ritek discs,they are basically all i use.I buy packs of 100 from supermediastore.com for $45 with free ground shipping.Apart from the special offer they had at Target a couple weeks ago ,20 TDK's for $9.

16. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

I also forgot to mention that BJs has a 100 spindle of DVD+R for about $44.00 and they work fine in the unit.

17. CalDF

CalDF Guest

I'm glad I found this forum! I recently purchased a Sanyo DRW-500, and in the week that I have owned and used it, have discovered its ups and downs. Overall, it's not a bad machine to achieve the primary purpose for which I bought it, which is basically to transfer my VHS collection to DVD. It's also not a bad unit to use as a backup for my Dish Network DVR. I have, however, found some shortcomings with the unit, which I'd like to point out (if anyone has noticed similar problems, or knows some solutions, I'd be more than happy to see your response):

1 - The unit records flawlessly on DVD+RW discs, and erases these discs with no problem. I am able to erase either track-by-track, or the entire disc at once. However, it does not record as easily to DVD+R discs. There seems to be a considerable delay when I attempt to record a new track to a DVD+R (usually about 15 seconds - no such delay with DVD+RW's).

2 - My experience with other DVD recorders (specifically, the Panasonic DMR-T3040) is that you can delete tracks on DVD+R or DVD-R discs before finalizing (granted, you can't recover the used space on the disc, but you can get rid of the data). However, the DRW-500 does not offer this feature. Once you record a track on a DVD+R disc, it's there for good! If you make a mistake while recording a DVD+R, your only option is to pitch the disk and start again. I have found that the best way to handle this situation is to master recordings to DVD+RW's, then use the DVD burner on my computer to burn the finished recordings to DVD+R's (that is, provided that you have a DVD burner).

3 - The DRW-500, in playback mode, will not continuously play from one track to the next, but will stop and return to the menu screen between every track. This is rather frustrating, because there are times when I would like to watch a DVD all the way through without interruption.

4 - The record programming functions on the DRW-500 are very limited. First off, you'd better get used to a 24-hour clock, because there is no "AM" or "PM" on this machine. Second, you can not program repeat events (i.e. to record the same event at the same time every day, every week, etc). You have to enter each one-time event individually.

5 - The "title track" function allows you a maximum of 10 characters for the title, and all of the available letters are lower-case only (if you want to record and title a show like "Eight Simple Rules", you'll have to come up with a catchy acronym).

6 - Sanyo customer support leaves something to be desired. I got a lot of busy signals, and spend enough time on hold. When I finally did reach a CSR, they didn't really seem to know much about the unit or how it works.

Of course, you get what you pay for, and seeing as I only paid $150 for this unit (the machines with the bells and whistles still start around $300), I guess I shouldn't complain. I toyed with the idea of returning it, but seeing as it performs the simple function for which I bought it, I might as well hold onto it.

18. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

I gave up on it and just use my PC for recording/editing/burning.
    Results are better,and menus are nicer too.Plus i can use either +R or -R discs.

19. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

CalDF

Welll Then I have 200 dvd +R disk that are coasters and while this is not true they are cheaper and right now I dont have a dvd recorder drive on the computer.

But how does it come off the disk as a vob file.

20. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

But the one thing you dont have too worry about is the rate too record as it records in realtime from the tv and when you tranfer too the computer you have too mess with all stuff too encode it what bitrate and all that I know 5000 is the best but most dvds ar not big enough and I usaully used between 1500 br and 2000 myself and used another program too clear up the the noise from my vhs when I was doing tranfers.

Although I still like the menu on the ilo better because it had a way too look at the menu in text view or icons and also the whole keyboard capital and otherwise.

I would like to get one with a HDD on it would anyone know if you can edit the comercials out after you record on the HDD on those models.