1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo DRW 500 recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rbrown, May 9, 2004.

1. barton88

barton88 Member

CalDF My sanyo 500 plays great track after track on recorded vhs and from recorded movies from direct TV and well as commercial DVD. When I record a clip and stop then record another clip during play back it does take you back to menu to select which clip of several you wish it to play. I have two Sanyo's both of which work great and customer service has been good for me. Phillips Sony and other recorders seem to keep track of your recordings. Once you record a movie it appears to have a record and will not let you record it again even from direct tv. Has anyone else had this experience. ?

2. CalDF

CalDF Guest

Wolf, you can still use those DVD+R's - all I'm saying is that you have to be careful not to make any mistakes when dubbing to them, because you can't delete a title once it's recorded. Other machines I've used will allow you to delete the title, even though you can't recover the space.

Barton, I've found, as you have, that the DRW-500 plays back very well, and I've yet to have a problem with playback or recording of discs. I do, however, wish it had a feature which would allow the user to play a DVD straight through, title to title. I did try to dub a series of VHS-C tapes to one single title, pausing between tape changes, but I got a "disc error" message if I took too long to change the tape (apparently, it doesn't like being in "pause" very long).

3. catazz

catazz Guest

My friend and I both just purchased Sanyo recorders. I have scanned these messages and have learned a lot. I do have a couple questions, please:

1. You say that the +RW discs automatically finalize. Does this happen every time you add info to a disc, or does this happen after the disc is full? I have recorded several files on a disc but it will not play in my Emerson DVD player.

2. Various disc brands have been mentioned. Do I understand correctly that recording on anoher brand of disc might cause it to work in my other DVD player if I use it?

3. HP brand discs have been mentioned. If this is an abbreviation of the actual name, could I please have the full brand name?

Thank you for your help. This site is great. I have already learned a great deal.

4. usafret

usafret Guest

Hello Cat!
    Just read your post. HP is abbreviation for Hewlett Packard.
    Someone on this site told me about them and now I use no other.
    They are a good multi-purpose DVD, work on my 500, my computer and other DVDs. Try just a few at first.

5. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Hi Catazz,not all brands of discs will work on all players,it may work if you try a different brand.Unfortunately it is trial and error,you'll need to make the disc first to find out if it works or not.The fact is that certain players just dont like certain discs.
    Its a metter of finding which brand works for you and then going with that..

I never actually used a +RW n the 500,so have a look at the menu once you have burned a programme to the +RW disc,and see if the option to finalize is there.If it is,try finalizing it and then see what happens when you try to add more programmes to it afterwards.You should be able to add more tracks without having to erase the disc first,but like i said,trial and error will give you your answers. !

6. catazz

catazz Guest

Thanks,for your response Cult. The menu for the 500 does have a finalize option, but it is ghosted out for +RW discs. It is only operational for +R discs according to the "lovely" manual that came with the machine. Someone on this board mentioned something like +RW's are ??automatically?? finalized without using this option, but with the short time I have been playing with this recorder, I didn't see anything happening that would indicate it was finalizing.

Catlady

7. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

katazz:
    I don't think that the DVD+RW do actually "finalize". From what I understand, they're supposed to be able to be played in any machine regardless of brand, etc. It probably has to do with the way that the RW discs are formatted and set up as opposed to the write once.

Just as an aside.... there is one member who keeps posting who needs to use a spell and grammar check. It is very difficult to read the posts.
    too = also
    two = 2
    to = a directional word
    books = more than one book
    book's = something that belongs to a book

Finally, a period at the end of a sentence would be nice and not something that runs on and on for paragraphs without any punctuation this is very hard too read when you are trying too figure out what the person is saying i really end up skipping over the posts get the idea?

8. usafret

usafret Guest

kingsmead: Check the grammar and punctuation in your last post. Let's not turn this site into a English test. Thanks.

9. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

The last paragraph of my posting was gramatically incorrect to make a point. I just get frustrated trying to wade through lack of punctuation and grossly misspelled words. It makes for difficult reading. In an age of computers with spell and grammar checks, there really is no excuse.

10. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

Who cares this is not school

11. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

true,but it would make it easier.

12. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

how so if someone writes wrong on here they dont want too get critized for it like me dont look at the screen i look at keyboard.

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  13. faerykiss

faerykiss Member

Yeesshh, who tied everybodies tail in a knot? LOL

14. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Why not have a quick check of the spelling etc before submitting it ? It just makes it easier on people's eyes,i think that's what the other poster meant,instead of trying to figure out where one sentence ends and the next begins.

15. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

I am having a weird problem with the DRW 500 recorder. I found another person who made a post at c-net.com with the same problem. When recording from cable tv and I play back the disc on the TV is shows good. However when I try to play it on my computer, it gives some weird lines on the both sides and at the bottom of the screen. It's somewhat visible even on my mom's portable DVD player.

However when I record a tape from my VCR it doesn't give these lines. I even tried using the RCA connections from the output of my tv to the input on the recorder and I am still getting those lines. Anyone else experienced this and even has been able to fix the problem?

I mean it plays good on the TV but what happens when I want to watch something I recorded on my computer?

16. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

I'm not sure about this... just guessing... do you by any chance have high definition TV? If so, this may be an issue with PCs. Again, I'm taking a wild guess.

17. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

No we don't have any HD TV's. But however I do believe that it could be the cable box that is causing that to happen. I tried one of the channels that did work without the box and didn't get those lines, however there are only like 3 channels that work without the box. So I wouldn't say that's a fair test, so it's only a theory still.

As I said, from my VCR when I play tapes I don't get those lines... :-(

The stange thing is is shows well on the TV(s) but not the computer :-(

Ok I have to add new findings to this post. I tested the same channel I mentioned with the cable box as well and it still doesn't give me the weird lines. That channel was a local channel though.

I tested that against cable channels and it turns out that those lines only appear on cable channels. SO I guess it's not the DVD Recorder but the cable or the cable signal itself. However it's still a problem...

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  18. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

I know it's a pain in the neck, but what I would do is to take the recorder to someone else's house with satellite or a different cable carrier and see if the recording does the same thing. I think that you're on the mark that it has to do with your cable converter. Or, do you by any chance have another room in the house with a connection that you can check there? Maybe it's also possible that your cable company is doing something to the digital signals (which would explain that the local stations aren't affected) to prevent copying of programs. Just another wild guess.
    Finally, maybe if you know of someone with another brand of DVD recorder, you could try to hook that one up and record off your cable box.
    Last resort: your recorder MAY be defective. Did you apply the latest hardware upgrade? If you haven't and want to try, you can download the firmware upgrade on their website. I tried burning the CD with Roxio 7, but Nero seems to do some sort of formatting that the Sanyo only likes.
    As an aside, I ended up buying a second recorder for the office and chose a Liteon model that PcWorld recommended. It's a LOT friendlier as far as operation and easier to work with. I got it at BJ's for $165.00. That manual and website stink also - I think that the Chinese companies are more interested in getting product sold than supporting it!

19. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

Hello all I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the heating disk problem after playing several dvds through right after each other or when recording then playing back for say like 4 or five hours straight or longer when the disk comes out it's hot too the touch not where you can't hold it but hot enough too worry.

Had mine since about feb 25 2005 almost 3 months now and I like it but cant get a new one yet but when I do I'm getting one with a hard drive so I can edit comercials out.

20. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

Aight man I will try those out when I get some more time. It was somewhat annoying at first but the more I look at it. It's not that bad anymore. I mean I hardly record from cable right now. But I will still try it out.

I don't like the menu it gives though. I think I will just rip the vob file and use nero to create custom menus. I was hoping the firmware would have given you some type of option. Also why does it create just one vob file? Where as on normal DVD there are several, for the various chapters? I think if it did create more than one, we might have a better "chapter delete" funtion that removes it completely.